Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L500-1DT - New battery can't be charged

1. Satellite L500-1DT - New battery can't be charged
    Beginner
    Hi,
    I have just received a new battery for my laptop, and have tried to charge it but to no avail. When I plug it in, it recognizes that it has been charging, but then forgets its charging, or even plugged in.

i must let this be known, the new battery is not OEM so that could be the problem, Iíll try it in my mother's Toshiba, then report back.

2. Re: Satellite L500-1DT - New battery can't be charged
    Master
    Hello

> the new battery is not OEM so that could be the problem
    Yes this could be the problem if itís a 3rd party battery. Only original Toshiba spare parts are pretested and designed for Toshiba notebooks.

In your case I would contact an authorized service provider and ask for a new and original Toshiba battery. The guys can order all original Toshiba spare parts.

3. Re: Satellite L500-1DT - New battery can't be charged
    Beginner
    I would love too.. but being a student, I am on a budget, so thought it would be a cheap quick fix.. as i said, i'll try it in my mother's toshiba, and see if the phenomenon happens with that machine...

Thanks...

rloades

4. Re: Satellite L500-1DT - New battery can't be charged
    Beginner
    Well..as it turns out it isn't the battery that is the problem, as my mother's toshiba has no problem with it...
    i think i'll update the bios, the only problem that i have is that because it doesn't recognise its plugged in.
    one of the requirements is that the laptop needs to be on AC power

so will it update on a full battery..

i'm unsure what to do...

5. Re: Satellite L500-1DT - New battery can't be charged
    Hi

During the BIOS update the notebook should always be contacted to the mains!
    Here is a details instruction how to update the BIOS:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=60

But if the notebook works find using the ďoldĒ (previous) battery then I assume that the issue is related more to the new battery than to the BIOSÖ

However, if the new BIOS version is available, you can try to update this.

6. Re: Satellite L500-1DT - New battery can't be charged
    Beginner
    whilst i recognise that the computer needs to be plugged in, it just simply won't recognise that it is.
    the old battery has the same problem, so i'm pretty sure that the new battery isn't the problem, seeing as it works in another tosh i maintain, and works fine.
    the problem is it evident when i use the toshiba battery out of the other toshiba, basically, there is a problem with the laptop, NOT with the new battery