Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660 - Fan surging constantly- BIOS fix

1. Satellite C660 - Fan surging constantly- BIOS fix
    Beginner
    I have a Satellite C660, sub model PSC0LE.

The (CPU) fan constantly surges on and off every minute or so. It is loud, and extremely intrusive / annoying. This is occurs regardless of load / CPU temperature. I have seen references to this issue, and some people have suggested that a BIOS update fixes it.

I have updated my machine to the latest available version (1.40) but this has not fixed it.

I note that this submodel (PSC0LE) doesnt have a BIOS update as late as some of the other variants (there is a 1.8 version for some of the other C660 submodels) and I think the fan issue is resolved in that.

Does Toshiba have plans to fix this on the PSC0LE via a new BIOS, or is there any other way to stop this as it is really distracting.

TIA,
    dan

2. Re: Satellite C660 - Fan surging constantly- BIOS fix
    Master
    Try please to reduce cooling fan speed changing advanced power options > Toshiba power saver > cooling method.

For normal usage I recommend you to use balanced power plan and set cooling method to lower level. It should reduce cooling fan activity.

3. Re: Satellite C660 - Fan surging constantly- BIOS fix
    Master
    Hi buddy,

The point is not the BIOS. The point is the cooling method as Andrej mentioned. In Windows power management you can choose between different modes (maximum performance and battery optimized). Maximum performance is default value and if you set battery optimized the cooling activity will be reduced so the notebook is much quieter.

Check this!!!

4. Re: Satellite C660 - Fan surging constantly- BIOS fix
    Beginner
    thanks for replying. I have already set the cooling to 'Passive' so it is on the lowest level.

I have to say I disagree with your notion that it i s not BIOS related as the CPU load and temperatures are not high, in fact, when the fan revs up, they havent even changed, hence why I believe there is a fundamental flay in the programming of the fan controller. In addition, I have seen references to other C660 models which have had more recent BIOS updates which corrects fan modulation.

5. Re: Satellite C660 - Fan surging constantly- BIOS fix
    Master
    Maybe Toshiba will offer some BIOS update in the future. Almost all Toshiba notebook models are supported with BIOS updates. You can just hope that new BIOS version will help with this.

6. Re: Satellite C660 - Fan surging constantly- BIOS fix
    Beginner
    I have exactly the same problem.
    The problem is that if the fan turns on it goes right to 100% speed, and it's very loud. After 1-2 seconds, it stops, then a 5-30 seconds long pause, and then it begins again.
    If I'm playing a game, then the pause lasts shorter.
    Instead of this, it should go on a constant speed, and if the laptop gets warmer, then it should be faster (and definitely not stop).
    In my opinion its the BIOS, and Toshiba should update it soon