Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R700 Wont shut down or install W7 SP1

1. Portege R700 Wont shut down or install W7 SP1
    Beginner
    Hello,

I've had a Portege R700 for a few months and whilst a brilliant notebookI'm having a few problems that I can't find the answer to. I thought I'd post them both as they possibly could be interrelated.

Firstly, when I'm running on battery alone my computer wont shut down. It gets to the Windows is Shutting down screen and just hangs. After about 10 or so minutes I generally give up and manually power down the machine by holding the power button. It's my office computer so It's very rarely used on battery so I haven't really worried about it but I'd like to fix it. Also when I'm using my machine on the port replicator in the office, when I shut down my computer it comes up with the screen that a program is not responding and to force close it. I find that odd as there is no program running at the time (obviously there is probably a background program running).

The second problem that I am having is that I'm trying to install Windows 7 SP1 via the full download from Microsoft's website, however when it comes to install the update I get the following error:

ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING(0x80073701)

I've done a search on the web for answers but any of the fixes outlined haven't worked. My only other option could be a full reinstall of Windows which I'm loathed to do.

If anyone has any solutions that would be great.

Thanks.

2. Re: Portege R700 Wont shut down or install W7 SP1
    Beginner
    Hi there

why aren't you allowing Windows Update to install the updates to the machine? that method usually resolved 90% of update install problems as the update manager will only download the service pack sections required for your install/version/build of windows 7?

how is the shutdown carried out? pressing the power button or using the windows start menu shutdown button?

when on the port replicator what does the error message say exactly? what is the name of the program?

3. Re: Portege R700 Wont shut down or install W7 SP1
    Beginner
    Thanks for replying.

I am allowing windows to install updates to the machine, however service pack 1 has not been installed under windows update so I'm trying to install it myself using the download from Microsoft.

Regarding the shut down issue I am using the start menu to shut the computer down. When it is running on battery it then changes to the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen and sits there and doesn't power off so I have to manually do it myself by holding the power button down.

When it's on the port replicator it before shutting down it gives me the "Windows is waiting for programs to close" screen however it doesn't tell me which ones it needs to quit. It just stays there for a few seconds before changing to the "Windows is shutting down" screen and eventually powering off.

It's interesting that when on battery it doesn't give me the "Windows is waiting for programs to close" screen.

Thanks for the help.

4. Re: Portege R700 Wont shut down or install W7 SP1
    Beginner
    i would guess that the port replicator is running a service in the background that won't close itself first. try leaving the laptop plugged onto the port but switch off/unplug the port at the mains, then power down and see what happens

this will also replicate a battery shutdown so in theory should hang like it has been doing. which unfortunately is a fault i cannot explain. is the laptop stock standard? is the bios fully upto date and if it has a SSD is the firmware up to date??

install the latest grahics driver from the toshiba website then re-run windows update, it should find service pack 1 then, i had similar issue and it was due to an out of date graphics driver, come across it several times on the core i series based laptops with integrated intel graphics chipsets.

Ben

5. Re: Portege R700 Wont shut down or install W7 SP1
    Beginner
    Thanks for the help.

I installed the updated display drive and now windows update is able to see the SP1 update. However when I try to install it I now get error 80073701.

From my searching on the net the most common answers are to use the "update troubleshooter" and to install the "update readiness tool". I've done both of those and am still getting the same error number 80073701.

In regards to the shut down error, the laptop is stock standard with the bios fully up to date and I don't have an SSD so I'm not sure what the problem could be. The other person in the office also has an R700, however his is the older model without the fingerprint reader or expresscard slot and his is shutting down fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

6. Re: Portege R700 Wont shut down or install W7 SP1
    Beginner
    It seems that the issue with that code can be due to use of windows anytime upgrade, is the copy of windows on your machine as it was when sent from factory? or have you upgraded to ultimate for example?

if so you may need a clean install of the original o/s then install sp1 then re-run the anytime upgrade

also there is a possibility that the o/s is causing the hang on the shutdown, so again a clean install may fix this issue to

so if it was me, backup all files and settings then DBAN the drive, install windows that was originally installed (should be able to get hold of the media from tosh) then run all updates including service pack 1 (don't forget that graphics driver update to see sp1) then see how she goes!

7. Re: Portege R700 Wont shut down or install W7 SP1
    Beginner
    Thanks for your help.

I had to bite the bullet and do a full recovery. SP1 is now installed and it now shuts down fine.

8. Re: Portege R700 Wont shut down or install W7 SP1
    Beginner
    glad you sorted it

hope the bullet want to sour when you bit it :-)