Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro L630-12: Ethernet controller v Network adapter v. WLAN

1. Satellite Pro L630-12: Ethernet controller v Network adapter v. WLAN
    Beginner
    Basic questions:
    My Satellite Pro L630-12E has (A) an Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller and (B) Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter.
    Toshiba keeps regularly advising me that an updated Wireless Lan Driver has been released, which I must install.

First question: Is the Wireless LAN Driver the Ethernet Controller or the Network Adapter?

I check the versions on my machine of both (A) and (B) with the PC diagnostics tool and find that (B) is the latest version (5.60.48.35) and (A) is a very old version (1.0.0.26). I download from the Wireless LAN Driver Downloads page the latest version (9.2.0.316.0) of "Atheros Wireless LAN Adapter" for my machine (Windows 7 (64)) and run the file. But still, wherever I look, my machine continues to state that the version of (A) is (1.0.0.26).

Second question: Am I updating the Atheros Ethernet Controller when I download and run the Atheros Wireless LAN Adapter?
    If yes, then why doesn't it show the most recent version information?

Sorry for basic questions, but I haven't found explanations in various fora about the difference between 'ethernet controller', 'network adapter' and 'wireless LAN' after searching many times. I am concerned that Toshiba keeps informing me that I don't have the most recent version of the wireless LAN driver despite my efforts to follow their instructions.

2. Re: Satellite Pro L630-12: Ethernet controller v Network adapter v. WLAN
    Master
    > First question: Is the Wireless LAN Driver the Ethernet Controller or the Network Adapter?

Ethernet controller can be both; WLan and LAN… in your case I assume WLan is Ethernet controller… this would appear if the WLan driver is not installed

Your notebook L630-12E seems to support Broadcom BCM94313 WLan card and the driver can be found here:
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/

> Am I updating the Atheros Ethernet Controller when I download and run the Atheros Wireless LAN Adapter?

This is LAN driver!

3. Re: Satellite Pro L630-12: Ethernet controller v Network adapter v. WLAN
    Master
    Hi buddy,

You can’t say for sure that Ethernet controller or Network Adapter is the LAN/WLAN card. The best way to check this is identifying the vendor and device ID:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=78

Generally speaking driver updates are only necessary if something is not ok with your notebook but if everything runs perfect I don’t see a reason for driver updating.

Otherwise follow the instructions posted by PauPau for downloading new WLAN driver.

4. Re: Satellite Pro L630-12: Ethernet controller v Network adapter v. WLAN
    Beginner
    Thanks for this. Everything works fine on my laptop, so I think I'll just relax & not worry anymore.