Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R700 - Lightning Fast!

1. Portege R700 - Lightning Fast!
    Beginner
    Despite some reports of 'flaky' operation and similar, I decided to rip out my HDD and slap a SSD and W7 Pro 64-bit onto my portege R700-184

flippin heck its sped the thing up!!!!

I used a sandforce based OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb drive and Retail Media to install the 64-bit windows. this is with no other firmware or software updates for the SSD or Laptop, so straight out the box

Before it used to boot from cold in 95 seconds, down to 23 seconds on the SSD! and it wakes from sleep in around 4 seconds!!! VERY impressed!

similarly the 64-bit o/s has improved my WEI scores as well, the CPU is up from 6.5 to 6.9, the RAM from 5.4 to 5.9 and obviously the SSD has taken hard drive from 5.9 to a scorching 7.4 :-)

excellent upgrade in the embryonic stages, i will report back on long term testing after i've got all my drivers back up and running and restored my files!

Ben

Message was edited by: 1994F7PT

2. Re: Portege R700 - Lightning Fast!
    Master
    > i decided to rip out my HDD and slap an SSD and W7 Pro 64-bit onto my Portege R700-184

I never upgraded one of my notebooks with an SSD drive but according to your post this should improve the notebook performance a lot… great to known this… so thanks for sharing this info!!!

3. Re: Portege R700 - Lightning Fast!
    Master
    Thank you for this information, 1994F7PT! :)

Yes, a SSD can improve the performance very much so SSDs are a great piece of hardware. I hope that in next months/years new models with higher capacity are coming on the market and older models getting cheaper. Such a SSD with 320 or 500GB could replace a notebook HDD without any problems :)

4. Re: Portege R700 - Lightning Fast!
    Beginner
    interesting reading. I tried in vein to get toshiba to sell me the r700 with the 64 bit os but were to consumed with other things to offer me this. as much as i quite like my tosh its starting to feel real slow.