Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Frequent temporary freezing on Tecra M11

1. Frequent temporary freezing on Tecra M11
    Beginner
    I have had two Tecra M11-17V laptops. (the first was stolen then replaced with an identical one)
    They have both had the same issue where the machine would occasionally freeze for about 5-10 seconds.

The freezing usually occurs when moving the mouse over a button or menu, for example, the close button on any window.
    It doesn't happen everytime the mouse goes over, just occasionally. It also occasionally occurs when right-clicking.

Usually the laptop will resume with no problems, but some apps lock up after this happens.
    Particularly Firefox.

The issue occured from the moment I got the laptop, with just the base Windows 7 install.
    Excatly the same on both machines.

No errors are reported.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

2. Re: Frequent temporary freezing on Tecra M11
    Master
    Hi

Such short freezings are mostly related to busy CPU or allocated memory.
    In some cases it could be related to a installed software.

I found this FAQ from Toshiba:
    +Intermittend hang up or freeze of your machine (with possible high rotation FAN) under Windows 7 - 32 Bit / 64 Bit+
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB0C032L0000R01.htm

In this document you can find a tip that Finger print update might solve some intermitted hang up or freeze.

Try this…

3. Re: Frequent temporary freezing on Tecra M11
    Master
    I think PauPau is right and according the Toshiba document you should update the fingerprint software. The update you can get here:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com > Support & Downloads > Download Drivers

Furthermore I would recommend updating your Firefox version, latest one at the moment is 4.0.1 as far as I know.

Have you connected external devices to your notebook?

Greets

4. Re: Frequent temporary freezing on Tecra M11
    Beginner
    The fingerprint software is not installed. I removed it I while ago.

Firefox is at 4.01 and this issue has persisted through several versions of Firefox, but only on this model of laptop.

The only external devices connected are mice.

I thought it was most likely to be a graphics issue, because it occurs when objects are highlighted or appear. The display drivers are on the latest version though.

5. Re: Frequent temporary freezing on Tecra M11
    Master
    Hi

> Firefox is at 4.01 and this issue has persisted through several versions of Firefox, but only on this model of laptop.
    Does this happens only using Firefox? How about other internet browsers? IE? Opera? Chrome?

6. Re: Frequent temporary freezing on Tecra M11
    Beginner
    The issue occurs in all apps and in Windows. Any icon or menu that responds to the mouse moving over it may occasionally suffer from this problem. Right-click menus and the task-bar preview thing can also cause it. It's only occasional though, maybe two or three times an hour.

Firefox just tends to lock up when it happens though, whereas most other apps recover. The Firefox locking up may not be directly related to the freezing problem, I've just assumed it is because it only happens on this model of laptop and it's caused by right-clicking.

7. Re: Frequent temporary freezing on Tecra M11
    Master
    So possibly the processes which are running in the background are responsible for that… as I suggested above, this might be related to busy CPU or allocated memory.
    If this issue would happen you could check Task Manager which process uses the CPU and memory usage
    Maybe this would help to identify the reason for that...

By the way; the Tecra support the TOSHIBA HDD Protection sensor... this sensor stops reading/writing the data on HDD in cases the notebook has been moved... this could lead to short freezings too... disable this for check.