Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege A600 - Unknown device after Windows 7 installation

1. Portege A600 - Unknown device after Windows 7 installation
    Beginner
    G'day all.

I have an A600 (Vista original) which I recently installed to Windows 7 Professional 32 bit (reformat/reinstall). I was careful with the order of installation. All is fine except the inbuilt camera does not work and there is an unknown PCI Simple Communications controller listed in device manage. Undoubtedly the two are linked.

I have tried reloading the chipset drivers to no avail. The unknown device is PCI bus 0, device 3, function 0. Is there any way of determining what this device is so I can track down the missing driver?

2. Re: Satellite A600 - Unknown device after Windows 7 installation
    Master
    Hi buddy,

Can you post the vendor and device ID of this unknown device? This would be useful to identify it.
    => [How to identify an unknown device (e.g. Wireless LAN module)?|http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=78]

But PCI communications controller could mean the webcam… In your case I would try installing the webcam driver from official Toshiba website. After the installation you should be able to start the webcam software and use the webcam.

3. Re: Satellite A600 - Unknown device after Windows 7 installation
    Beginner
    quite often if there is no W7 driver as well, try the vista one either direct, or run the setup in compatibility mode

Message was edited by: 1994F7PT

4. Re: Satellite A600 - Unknown device after Windows 7 installation
    Beginner
    Thanks for your replies. I have partially resolved the problem and learned a bit in the process. Thankyou Pinkpanther (I am a Clouseau fan also) for your pointers on the vendor and device ID. I tracked the device down (using your link) to be the Intel Management Engine which I believe monitors the motherboard environment of the notebook. I had a look on the Toshiba web site for drivers. There is not one listed for Windows 7 for my model (00H005) that I could see. So, I now know that the device is not one I am particularly concerned about.

My main reason for getting to the bottom of the device problem was to get my camera working. Some further investigation suggested there might be a link with USB cameras and Windows updates, so I updated all essentials and some sensible looking recommended settings, attempted to reinstall, and away it went. Working like a charm.

I have had a good look around for the Intel ME driver, but can't find a suitable driver. If anyone can help with that, I'd appreciate it.

5. Re: Satellite A600 - Unknown device after Windows 7 installation
    Master
    Hi rodspar,

What notebook model you have exactly? Can you post the exact part number (you can find it on bottom side)?

Usually all drivers you can find on official Toshiba website…

6. Re: Satellite A600 - Unknown device after Windows 7 installation
    Beginner
    Portege A600 PPA61A-00H005
    BTW, I have searched the Toshiba site which redirects to support.toshiba-tie.co.jp/windows7/drivers_au.htm .

Thanks.

Message was edited by: rodspar

7. Re: Satellite A600 - Unknown device after Windows 7 installation
    Master
    Hi buddy,

I found your model on Toshiba Australian page:
    http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/ > Support > Downloads

The problem is that there are no Windows 7 32bit drivers available :(

But I have checked the European driver download page and for a similar model (PPA61E) are all Windows 7 32bit drivers available:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

There is no Management Interface driver for your notebook but make sure you have installed all other drivers. Especially chipset, trusted platform module, fingerprint, hdd protection, etc.

What is the device and vendor ID of unknown device?