Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra S11 BSOD after trying to install BIOS v3.1

1. Tecra S11 BSOD after trying to install BIOS v3.1
    Enthusiast
    Tecra S11 BSOD after trying to install BIOS v3.1

I have just reinstalled fingerprint utility successfully.After that I tried to install new BIOS v3.1 but I got BSOD
    win 7 pro
    Where can i find minidump file to see what is the problem?

C/windows/minidump folder is empty.

2. Re: Tecra S11 BSOD after trying to install BIOS v3.1
    Hi

Do you get the BSOD during the BIOS update procedure?
    Do you use the Toshiba preinstalled Windows OS? or did you install your own system?

If you installed your own system, then you should check that VAP is installed as well.

Furthermore I found this info regarding the BIOS update:

+Caution !+

+Please close all applications before executing the update.+

+At the end of this process, the computer will be rebooted in order to update the EC.+
    +While updating the EC, the screen may not be displayed and the power LED etc may blink.+
    +The computer may reboot several times. This is no abnormal behaviour.+
    +Please wait until the computer is fully rebooted.+

3. Re: Tecra S11 BSOD after trying to install BIOS v3.1
    Enthusiast
    Hi,

Preinstalled "Toshiba" Win 7 pro.
    Yes, I got the BSOD during the BIOS update procedure. No other application is running in the foreground, except Toshiba service station with BIOS update, and FW, AV softwares in the background.

4. Re: Tecra S11 BSOD after trying to install BIOS v3.1
    Hi

Well, disable the antivirus software which is running in the background.
    Reinstall the VAP (value added package) and try again.
    Good luck

5. Re: Tecra S11 BSOD after trying to install BIOS v3.1
    Enthusiast
    I have reinstalled VAP, turned off AV, but same BSOD screen during BIOS upgrade. I am using a patched BIOS v. 2.6B and EC v. 1.8

Since then I got a new BSOD after waking up tecra from sleeping mode. BSOD thpdrv.sys as I can remember well...

6. Re: Tecra S11 BSOD after trying to install BIOS v3.1
    It is really not easy to say what is wrong there.
    It would be interesting to know if the same happen with “factory settings” but to test it you need other HDD. If you have one exchange HDD, install recovery image and test it again.

What you can also try is to remove one RAM module and test it again.

I really don’t have any other idea what the problem can be.

7. Re: Tecra S11 BSOD after trying to install BIOS v3.1
    Enthusiast
    Yes, you solved the problem it was HDD hardware problem. I replaced the HDD and everything is fine now. No more BSOD, Windows 7 is fast again.

Those of you who find this thread, and have problem with your machine, BSOD or slowing down your windows 7, I recommend download Crystal disk info HDD analyzer tool - it's free - and if it says HDD is "critical" or something like that, immediately change your hdd. BEFORE, Create Win 7 recovery DVD - 3 DVD-s, (2 disks if you reinstall the factory default settings ). Export your fingerprint key file! If you have ftop encrypted files and you only copy them to new HDD, you won't be able to access them (even if your passwords, username is the same, doesn't matter), so it's important to export your old key file with fingerprint utility e.g. onto a pendrive. Or decrypt them on old HDD and copy that way.

Unfortunately the latest BIOS still doesn't solve the well known CPU high pitched noise problem. :(
    My old HDD was a HITACHI, I replaced it with a different one, different brand.

Thanks anyway!