Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite A100-803 - CPU Upgrade question

1. Satellite A100-803 - CPU Upgrade question
    Beginner
    I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-803 laptop at the moment. There is an Intel Core 2 Duo T5200 cpu in it and it is a bit slow. It also doesn't support VT-x extensions.

My idea is to build a simple hobby-server which should run Gentoo with Xen on it. I can buy an Intel Core 2 Duo T7600, but there are two things I would like to know.

1. Does the bios support the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600?
    2. If it does support the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600, is there any way to use the VT-x extensions?

2. Re: Satellite A100-803 - CPU Upgrade question
    Master
    >1. Does the bios support the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600?
    This is not known to me but you should check if the chipset would support the the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600. If the chipset does not support this CPU then you cannot use this CPU in your A100. but if the chipset would support the new CPU then you’ve good chances to use this part.

>2. If it does support the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600, is there any way to use the VT-x extensions?
    Hmm… this is a good question; as far as I know the BIOS needs to support the VT-x feature in order to use this… of course the CPU should support this too… so I think that the VT-x should be available if the upgrade to Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 would be successful…

3. Re: Satellite A100-803 - CPU Upgrade question
    Beginner
    The chipset supports the T7600, I've already checked that. So that shouldn't be the problem. But if the bios doesn't support the T7600 then I'm screwed.
    The main reason why I want the T7600 is because of the VT-x extensions and becuase I can buy that cpu for a nice price second hand.

I'm guessing that because there aren't any VT-x extension options in the bios, the bios doesn't support it. And then the main reason to buy the T7600 is gone.

Maybe it is a better idea to try Xen with para-virtualisation with the T5200 cpu.

4. Re: Satellite A100-803 - CPU Upgrade question
    Master
    Thanks for the feedback mate... please post again if you have finished the upgrade...
    would be really interesting to know if the VT is available...