Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Cannot use Recovery CD XP for Satellite M70-168

1. Cannot use Recovery CD XP for Satellite M70-168
    Beginner
    Hello,

I can't install XP Home using Toshiba recovery CD for my m70-168.
    I did it two years ago but now it is impossible.

I followed instructions from user's manual. At the beginning, the system displays loaded modules followed by a menu from recovery utility
    There is 3 options 1- Normal installation 2- personalized installation 9- quite. But it is impossible to select any of them.
    Only Ctrl-Alt-Del works, then windows start normally. Since the last restoration, memory was upgrded to 2 Go.

I have the same problem using the saving copie of my recovery CD.

Thanks for your Help
    Pierre46

2. Re: Recovery XP for Satellite M70-168
    Hi

Hmm… sounds really strange… I mean if the copy of the recovery disk does not work too, then I doubt that this could be a recovery disk issue. But nothing is impossible…
    Are you sure that your HDD is fully OK?

Did you try to install the Win XP using the Microsoft clean Windows XP CD?
    Maybe you should check this to ensure that the issue is not related to the installation disks….

Back to your recovery disk; As far as I know it’s not possible to order a new recovery disk because this notebook model is discontinued…
    So you will need to use a Microsoft disk

3. Re: Recovery XP for Satellite M70-168
    Beginner
    Hi,
    Many thanks for your help. I made a new copy of my recovery DVD (I made a mistake in my post, ) and I did not get any error message. I guess the DVD is correct.
    Now I am looking for te Microsoft clean Windows XP CD.
    Do you now if Toshiba HDD are tagged ?
    Thanks again for your help

4. Re: Recovery XP for Satellite M70-168
    > Do you now if Toshiba HDD are tagged ?
    What do you mean exactly by tagged?
    If you want to know if you would able to install the OS using MS Win XP CD, then YES, you can install this…

5. Re: Recovery XP for Satellite M70-168
    Beginner
    I mean a mark (tatoo) on hdd to identify the pc and avoid system piracy, thus you must have a dvd corresponding with this mark. That cause a problem when you want to replace a failed HDD. Some manufacture make this tatoo in the bios.

6. Re: Recovery XP for Satellite M70-168
    Master
    No it is not. I have upgraded my old Satellite M70 with brand new 250GB SATA HDD and it runs perfectly. So, there is no any kind of HDD limitation.

7. Re: Recovery XP for Satellite M70-168
    Beginner
    Hi all,
    many thanks all for you help. I found the solution
    I try again recovery procedure but instead tu hit key 1 + shift key I try without press shift key .Now It works.
    The procedure is :
    1- Installation
    2- Advanced installation
    9- Quite
    Shame on me. But no explanation about wrong keying. The procedure don warns you dont' press the valid Key.
    Thanks again for your help