Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro A120 - Black Screen - Fine on External Monitor - LCD fine

1. Satellite Pro A120 - Black Screen - Fine on External Monitor - LCD fine
    Beginner
    Hi, I am having a mojor headache with a Toshiba Satellite Pro A120. The screen has started switching to blackout at random times and is happening more and more. It doesn't matter whether W
    Jayindows has loaded or if I enter the bios,or boot from CD,or leave it sat waiting for me to select a boot device. It more often than not goes black but you can still see what should be on the screen, it's just not lit at all to see clearly. The laptop itself is still working fine as it works on an external monitor and makes system beeps, cd spins up etc.
    Have tried the following:
    Adjusting various settings in the graphics properties and within the bios but makes no difference.
    It also switches back on if I press FN + F5 to swap monitors but goes off again after a few seconds.
    It's not overheating as it's been stood all night and still happens sometime during boot when stone cold.
    I've tried booting with / without the battery - no difference.
    I've tried booting without the HDD - no difference.
    I've tried removing the battery, pressing power for 60 seconds, then add battery, power and boot up again - no difference.
    I would have sworn it was the inverter but it does the same thing with an inverter I know works! don't think it can be graphics as it works on an external monitor and doesn't go off.
    I'm out of ideas and seeking a genius to sort this for me please!!!
    Cheers

2. Re: Satellite Pro A120 - Black Screen - Fine on External Monitor - LCD fine
    Beginner
    Apologies, the bit that says " *It doesn't matter whether W*
    *Jayindows has loaded*"

Should actuall read: " *It doesn't matter whether Windows has loaded*"

My laptop keyboard is knacked too!

Jay

3. Re: Satellite Pro A120 - Black Screen - Fine on External Monitor - LCD fine
    Master
    Hi buddy,

> it's just not lit at all to see clearly
    This would mean the FL inverter is defective… The FL inverter of internal LCD controls the backlight of display and if the FL inverter isn’t working you can see a picture but very very dark.

This would be a logical explanation for your problem because it must be something wrong with notebook LCD if an external monitor works properly. Also if it happens in BIOS the problem is not software related.

In your case I would get in contact with an authorized service provider and ask the guys for help. They can check your notebook and this should be done. Here we can only speculate and discuss about different possibilities because it’s just an user forum. The ASP has professional diagnostic tools and can order all Toshiba spare parts.

Good luck! :)

4. Re: Satellite Pro A120 - Black Screen - Fine on External Monitor - LCD fine
    Beginner
    Hi there and thanks for your advice! I've already replaced the inverter and screen for ones I know work which is why this is so baffling! It really doesn't make any sense....

It works on an internal monitor so it's not the graphics card.
    The screen comes back on when I press FN F5 but goes back off after a few seconds which also indicates the inverter is ok.
    It goes off whether in Windows or the bios and the same if I remove the hard drive, so can't be a software thing.

What's left after this? Do I just write it off?

All your help is much appreciated!

Jason

5. Re: Satellite Pro A120 - Black Screen - Fine on External Monitor - LCD fine
    Master
    Hi mcrdevils,

Hmm… That’s really strange if you have already replaced the FL inverter and LCD but on external monitor everything is ok…

Probably it’s just a software malfunction. What Windows version you are using?
    In your case I would try reinstalling Windows from Toshiba recovery disk. So you can get factory settings back with all drivers and tools.

The only part that you didn’t replace as yet is the LCD cable itself…