Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R700 - screen hinges are loose

1. Portege R700 - screen hinges are loose
    Beginner
    Hi There

my brand new R700 seems to have a bit of a surrender monkey of a screen on it.
    When i use the machine at home i sit it on a low coffee table, thus titling the screen a fair way back to angle it right for viewing

If i then pick up the laptop to use it on my....well lap basically.......the screen falls back to fully open/flat just through the motion of lifitng the machine

Anyone else had a similar problem and if so is it as simple as nipping up the hinge bolts and how are they accessed to do this?
    I rip apart laptops all the time, but never a brand new one that i'm worried about scratching, so i want to make sure i get it right!!!

cheers

Ben

2. Re: Portege R700 - screen hinges are loose
    Master
    Hi

Don’t have any similar issues with my notebook but possibly the display hinges are loose…
    Usually such hinges are hidden behind the plastic chassis and you would need to disassemble the notebook in order to get access to such parts.

Generally speaking I don’t recommend disassembling this nice notebook.
    Firstly you will lose the warranty status if you would remove the plastic cover.
    Secondly you could damage or break this and I think this is not worth a risk.

If I would be you, I would spend small fee and would ask a technician for a help.

3. Re: Portege R700 - screen hinges are loose
    Beginner
    thanks for the answer, but as mentioned, i am a laptop repair technician and the usual way i would do this is on a clients pc that is insured against damage during repair

however as its my own personal pc and i have no experience thus far of toshiba laptops i want to make sure i dont break it so was looking for anyone who had had a similar experience. i dont really want to be paying out for such a 'simple' fix as it were :-)

4. Re: Portege R700 - screen hinges are loose
    Master
    Hi buddy,

If you never disassembled this notebook before I wouldn’t do this. I mean notebook disassembling is not easy because a lot of parts must be removed and you have to be very careful. Furthermore if you disassemble the notebook yourself you will lose the warranty…

In your case I would get in contact with an authorized service provider. Probably only the screws are loose so they can repair this for free during few minutes.

I agree with Paolo30 and your unit should be checked from professional people. Just ask for help, I’m sure you can clarify this problem with the guys.

5. Re: Portege R700 - screen hinges are loose
    Beginner
    okay fellas, i'll stick to the guidance and give toshiba a ring :-)