Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite A100-220 - hard drive upgrade to 250 GB

1. Satellite A100-220 - hard drive upgrade to 250 GB
    Beginner
    Bought new hard disk from 250 GB but the system cant boot with it. The BIOS version is 1.80 do I need to upgrade it so it will support 250 GB? I think this is the problem because when I remove the hard drive the system can boot. Can you post link with download for a newer version of BIOS if there is one the previous hard disk was 40 GB?

Thanks

2. Re: Satellite A100-220 - hard drive upgrade to 250 GB
    Akuma
    When you say "Cant boot", what exactly is happening? Are you seeing an error message?

3. Re: Satellite A100-220 - hard drive upgrade to 250 GB
    Master
    Hi andmk,

I doubt your computer will boot if you remove the HDD. If no HDD is installed the computer is not able to boot and start Windows because on HDD the OS is installed.

Anyway, what happens exactly if you install the new HDD?
    Is it recognized in BIOS?
    Can you make a recovery installation on new HDD?

4. Re: Satellite A100-220 - hard drive upgrade to 250 GB
    Beginner
    maybe i expressed myself wrong here
    There is no windows installed the hard disk is new and is 250 GB
    the problem is that it freezes when entering in bios settings but when i remove the hard disk i can enter it
    so my question is do i need to flash the bios to a newer version cos clearly the hard disk is not supported by bios version 1.80

5. Re: Satellite A100-220 - hard drive upgrade to 250 GB
    Master
    As far as I know BIOS update should not help you at all. BIOS update is designed to solve some hardware related issues and not to increase hardware support for your notebook.

Enter your BIOS, set it to default settings, put new HDD and install supported operating system. Check how it will work with preinstalled OS.

For instance, I have upgraded my old Satellite M70 with 270 GB HDD and it worked OK so I donít see any reason why your A100 should have problems with 250 GB HDD.