Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: XP freezes after one month

1. XP freezes after one month
    Beginner
    Hello,

For the third time in 3 months I had to reinstall a Toshiba Satellite Pro with Windows XP. After about 3 to 4 weeks the laptop starts and stops at the startup. It keeps hanging by loading the personal settings. When I use the save mode it still keeps hanging. The only way to get it running again is to install windows XP again. Does anybody know what is going on?

Thanks for the anwer.

2. Re: XP freezes after one month
    Master
    Hi Molema,

Have you installed Windows XP from Toshiba recovery disk or normal Microsoft installation disk?

To be honest itís hard to say why it happens but I think itís software related issue. Nobody knows what programs you have installedÖ Probably it was also a virus or Trojan. If you install XP again I would recommend a good antivirus software like AntiVir or something else.

3. Re: XP freezes after one month
    Beginner
    Hello Xardas,

It's the original XP Windows Recovery CD of Thosiba. I already intalled the version 3 times, but stil I get the same problem. Every time, after about 1 month, windows cp keeps hanging in the startup screen. I use a good antivirus software and I check it also wih an online virus. So that is not the problem. Does anybody have another suggestions?

Thanks.

Greetings,

Molema

4. Re: XP freezes after one month
    Beginner
    Old thread but you never know who might be watching.

The only definitive "fault" I can think of is a dodgy hard drive. Run some SMART monitoring tools and post up a log if you can (smartctl is a good choice).

Ensure that on a new installation, that your antivirus and antispyware are up to date. I personally recomment Spybot, Spyware Blaster and AVG. I don't trust or use online checkers at all. They are very limited in their capabilities.

You should also try a program called Ccleaner for the removal of temporary and leftover files/registry entries that may slow down your system.

5. Re: XP freezes after one month
    Beginner
    I think you should try for re-installation instead of using recovery disk.

Also do not forget to run in safe mode to check for the components running at the start up.