Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra M2 recovery disk installs but comes up with incomplete installation

1. Tecra M2 recovery disk installs but comes up with incomplete installation
    Beginner
    The Tecra M2 has been running fine, its a good little machine but running out of space.
    I've been trying to install a new HDD 160GB (Seagate) was 60GB (Hitachi).
    I've used the recovery disk on the new HDD, it formats the disk, sets up XP Professional, gets me registered with Microsoft OK but when the laptop wants to run Windows it bombs out giving me a blue screen (dumping memory etc).
    When the laptop re-starts, in "Safe Mode" the message pops up that the "Installation was incomplete. Re-install setup"
    First question:-
    Is there a way of "fixing" the installation with the recovery disk?
    Another Windows CD XP disk - seems unable to repair the installation.

So
    Second question:-
    I've tried doing a complete re-installation from scratch, with the Windows CD - no problem. But then I need to install the drivers - got them off the Toshiba Support OK and I see the recovery disk has a whole lot of "Hotfix's" but the forum thread of 10 June 2006 "Driver needed after installing Windows on TecraM2, gives the order of installation - no problem except I cannot locate "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Step by Step Interactive" anywhere - I've looked all over for it?

2. Re: Tecra M2 recovery disk installs but comes up with incomplete installation
    Master
    Hi Ollienz,

I’m a little bit confused about your posting. Do you want to install Windows from Toshiba recovery disk or normal Microsoft disk? What do you want to do now?

Theoretically the recovery disk could be scratched so the installation can’t be finished successfully so in your case I would try a Microsoft Windows XP disk.

I have done a Google search for this Microsoft Windows XP Professional Step by Step Interactive and I found it’s a security update for the interactive training but it doesn’t seem to be important for driver installation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898458

3. Re: Tecra M2 recovery disk installs but comes up with incomplete installation
    Beginner
    Apology for any confusion!
    In fact there are possibly two questions or threads to my new HDD question

1) I have an excellent quality recovery disk (no scratches), this disk however continues to create an incomplete installation of the OS on a new Seagate HDD.
    The Question is whether there is any way to get the Recovery Disk to "repair" the incomplete Windows XP installation. I would then not have to sort out independently loading drivers onto the Tecra M2.

2) I have however successfully booted the laptop from CD, formatted and installed the OS Windows XP on the HDD, and now want to follow the right order for installation of drivers and any required software.
    This "right" order is set out in the Toshiba Forum thread dated 10 June 2006 "Driver needed after installing Windows on TecraM2".
    The file "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Step by Step Interactive" is the second item for installation, which seemed important but I could not locate it.
    I'm not wanting to proceed further with the new HDD, until I had all the files available.

4. Re: Tecra M2 recovery disk installs but comes up with incomplete installation
    > The Question is whether there is any way to get the Recovery Disk to "repair" the incomplete Windows XP installation. I would then not have to sort out independently loading drivers onto the Tecra M2.

The Toshiba recovery disk cannot be used for system repair. The recovery disk contains only the image and you can use recovery disk only to reinstall the OS once again.
    I cannot say why you get the BSOD while installation.

The OS can be installed using MS Win XP so I think there is everything OK with the hardware…

The driver installation order is not very important; I would recommend installing common drivers firstly;
    - chipset driver
    - display driver
    - LAN driver
    - Touchpad driver
    - Etc…

Then you could follow with Toshiba software.

By the way; you can update the windows automatically visiting this MS page:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

5. Re: Tecra M2 recovery disk installs but comes up with incomplete installation
    Beginner
    Thanks for that!
    It was just that the Toshiba Forum thread dated 13 June 2006 appeared to stress that the installation order, as set out in the thread, was crucial!
    Apparently not!

It would have been nice (faster! And annoying that the disk was not functioning) to set up the new HDD from the recovery disk - but I suppose I now have a folder full of the latest drivers etc!

The new HDD with the Windows XP OS including SP3 appears very stable but display, wireless driver etc still to come - I should finish in the next day or so.

Message was edited by: Ollienz

6. Re: Tecra M2 recovery disk installs but comes up with incomplete installation
    If some unknown device would appear in device manager, then you could install the hardware diagnostic tools like Everest Home Edition for example in order to find the right drivers for these devices.