Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro A300 - Recovery disk fails at start

1. Satellite Pro A300 - Recovery disk fails at start
    Beginner
    Hi, Hope someone can help.

Laptop stopped working - keeps trying to fix problem via windows on start-up but this just hangs for hours so I ordered a recovery disc to start a fresh as I believe the original problems were caused by a virus. I have no important data to keep so am OK with clearing everything and restarting. Today. I have just received my Product Recovery disc that I ordered from Toshiba. I follow the instructions; load disc, power on holding C. Then it just continues as if the Recovery CD wasnt in the drive. The CD drive doesnt spin. Its as if the laptop doesnt recognize the disc.

Any ideas?

2. Re: Satellite Pro A300 - Recovery disk fails at start
    Master
    Hello

Well, either i’s something wrong with recovery disk itself or the drive doesn’t detect the disk properly…

What happens if you access the BIOS boot menu (F12 key) and select CD/DVD drive as boot device?
    If it doesn’t work try another bootable disk to make sure the drive is working properly.

3. Re: Satellite Pro A300 - Recovery disk fails at start
    Beginner
    Hi C3PO. I have selected the cd/dvd as the boot device from the F12 menu and it still doent read the disk. I dont have any other bootable discs I am afraid. Is there an image of a bootable disc I can dload on another pc and burn to CD to try?

4. Re: Satellite Pro A300 - Recovery disk fails at start
    Master
    You can try to download Linux live, burn it on CD and try to check if ODD will read it.

5. Re: Satellite Pro A300 - Recovery disk fails at start
    Beginner
    Thanks as***, seems like it was a faulty cd/dvd drive after all. I was lucky to find a refurb'd one in local dealer so have fitted that. It has loaded the recovery disc and has run through. Just waiting to see what happens next as I have ejected the disc as instructed and now have a totally black screen. HDD led is flashing so maybe its doing something!

6. Re: Satellite Pro A300 - Recovery disk fails at start
    Master
    I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

7. Re: Satellite Pro A300 - Recovery disk fails at start
    Beginner
    Thx as***, seems i have more problems than I thought! No luck in loading recovery disc even with working cd/dvd drive. I have run Drive Fitness Test as recommended on this forum for possible HDD problems and it finds errors but reports it cant fix them as it is not a Hitach drive! Toshiba dont make a HDD Test do dont know what to try next, except replace HDD.

Any ideas?

Message was edited by: nICE1m8ey

8. Re: Satellite Pro A300 - Recovery disk fails at start
    Hi nICE1m8ey

If You found problems with your HDD you probably should not waste more time trying to fix it.
    The disks are not so expensive anyway.

If You want to try something, check out a program called HDD Low level format tool by HDDGuru.
    It can sometimes correct some pending sectors, but don't get your hopes up.

Cheers

Tom