Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: How to clean the fan on Portégé M400?

1. How to clean the fan on Portégé M400?
    Beginner
    Hi there, Speedfan has been reporting that at peaks, my laptop goes to 100*C, idles at about 60 and is usually at 75-88*C. Most online fan cleaning guides make the process look relatively straight forward - the fan pops right out like the battery or hard drive. On my M400 though it doesn't look so easy. Can anybody advise me how to access it to clean? Thanks.

Message was edited by: korobeiniki

2. Re: How to clean the fan on Portégé M400?
    Beginner
    Are you sure that the temperature that you are getting is right? 100 seems too hot. I would look under the keyboard for the fan.

3. Re: How to clean the fan on Portégé M400?
    Master
    Hello

I doubt the CPU temperature reaches 100°C. In this case the notebook would power off to protect the hardware.

But generally speaking cleaning the fan and heatsink is no problem. Everything what you need is compressed air spray to blow out the dust from cooling ventilators. Therefore it’s not necessary to disassemble the notebook.