Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9

1. Portege R700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9
    Beginner
    Hi,

This is a question to the techy guys at Toshiba. Please can someone confirm compatibility with OCZ Vertex2 SSD (Sandforce) drives with the Portege r700?

Ever since I've upgraded the stock HDD I've had issues with the BIOS recognising the SDD when rebooting. The issue is intermittent if I boot the laptop from cold it's fine, the SDD is recognised and everything is ok. When needing to reboot the laptop from Windows 7 (64bit) it will hang at the Toshiba Leading Innovation screen. It seems that the BIOS can't detect the drive for some reason and just freezes. I've read the threads about the Thumbprint software but am already running the version v1.0.2.32 - so think this is unrelated.

I've recently updated the OCZ Vertex2 firmware to v1.32 hoping this would fix the problem and it hasn't. The issue could be more with Sandforce compatibility with the Toshiba BIOS.

I'm currently running BIOS v1.9 - please can you guys do anything to fix this?

2. Re: Portege r700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9
    Akuma
    Are you able to test the SSD in another PC?

Does a HDD work ok in the R700?

3. Re: Portege r700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9
    Beginner
    I do have another pc that I can try it in, but from what I've read on the OCZ forums about the Sandforce controller on the SSD, it sounds like the issue lies with that.

Therefore hoping Toshiba can do something to the BIOS firmware to handle the issue.

Is anyone else using a Sandforce SSD (not necessarilly OCZ) on a Portege r700 without issue?

4. Re: Portege r700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9
    Beginner
    Yes the stock HDD (which I still have) works fine - it's the SSD that's the problem.

5. Re: Portege R700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9
    Beginner
    I'm using the Vertex2 and i've had no problems at bootup or during use.

However, that said my benchmarks are pretty poor. About half of what I've seen the desktop users reporting.

6. Re: Portege R700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9
    Beginner
    Thanks RandomDude - that's good to hear that there is someone else out there with the same setup as me - and you don't get boot issues. Incidently, although I've not run any benchmarks - my is quiet nippy when it is up and running.

If you want me to run some benchmarks to give you a comparison, tell me what to run and I'll give it a go for you.

Have you changed any of your BIOS settings?

7. Re: Portege R700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9
    Beginner
    I'm having the same problem with a Portege R705 and an ADATA S599 (also sandforce). I can get by using sleep mode instead of a full power down most of the time, but sometimes the laptop won't be plugged in for many days so I just need to turn it off. Once I turn it back on, it takes between 5 and 15 power cycles before it recognizes the SSD.

It's obviously a problem with Sandforce, but I'd imagine there is something Toshiba could do to fix it to (maybe make the BIOS wait longer before determining which drives are connected to the computer). I know that these issues are present in other laptops and desktops, but also that there are some motherboard manufacturers that do no have this problem.

8. Re: Portege R700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9
    > It's obviously a problem with Sandforce
    Fact is that there are many different SSD drive manufacturers and it could be possible that not all parts meet the same standards.
    In such cases many SSD drive manufacturers provides firmware updates but this is not always the case… so have to test other SSD drives…

9. Re: Portege R700 - SSD OCZ Sandforce and Toshiba BIOS v1.9
    Akuma
    SSD's are still relatively new and need to imitate a HDD interface so they are bound to have glitches and compatibility problems.

If a standard HDD and factory SSD's work ok, then it's a problem with that aftermarket SSD not complying to SATA Standards completely.

You need to ensure your SSD has the latest firmware. If it still doesn't work properly, then you'll need to try a different SSD.