Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation

1. Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation
    Beginner
    Dear Experts,
    I bought my Satellite L655 on January and due to some problem I given it for servicing (Toshiba). They found that my hard disk was not good and changed the hard disk. After that it was working fine for about 1 month. But from yesterday onwards, windows is prompting the message that '*{color:#FF0000}This copy of windows is not geniune'{color}*. How to solve this?

Regards,
    Bala

2. Re: Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation
    Master
    Hi buddy,

Who has installed the current Windows 7 version?

If you install Windows 7 from Toshiba recovery disk itís already activated and you donít need a product key.

3. Re: Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation
    Beginner
    Hi Xpert,
    Thanks for your reply.
    In my hard disk, i'm having HDD recovery folder. Can i use this folder for recovery?
    If yes, then how?
    Sorry, I'm a newbie to use Toshiba laptop.....

Regards,
    Bala

4. Re: Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation
    Master
    Hi buddy,

Yes, theoretically you can use the files from HDD recovery folder to restore the original operating system back to factory settings. But therefore the original OS from Toshiba must be installed. If you have installed another Windows 7 version, you canít use the files because there is no HDD recovery option in advanced boot menu.

So is the copy of Windows 7 from Toshiba still installed or have you done your own Windows installation?

What happens if you try to activate Windows? Does it work or not?

5. Re: Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation
    Master
    Hello

Try please to start recovery installation as described in follow document - http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD9102IR0000R01.htm
    Does it works?

If not then you have a problem.

6. Re: Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation
    Beginner
    Hi,
    When i try to activate, windows is telling that *Windows 7 Home Premium key you typed is invalid for activation.*
    When i click the 'Buy New product key online', browser is validating the windows and telling that *Windows copy is Genuine!*
    Now i'm not getting the warning message that 'Windows is not genuine', still the message in the My Computer properties' window showing that *20 days to activate! Activate windows now*.

I'm wondering that how to tackle the situation!!!

Regards,
    Bala

Message was edited by: kvbalakumar

7. Re: Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation
    Why you donít contact service and ask them what they have done exactly and which version have they installed?

I mean discussing here is OK and you can spend days reading different comments but you should fix this. Best option for you is recovery image installation. As I can see Silas asked you already if you can start HDD installation or not but you simply ignore this important question.

8. Re: Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation
    Beginner
    Hi Mr.Lamp,
    When i go to HDD recovery in windows menu, I was able to see the Toshiba HDD recovery option.
    Even I contacted to the service person, they restored using HDD recovery only.
    Still I'm facing the problem.....!

9. Re: Satellite L655-198 - Windows 7 Home Premium activation
    Beginner
    Hi Experts,
    I can't believe that what has happened today!!!
    Windows diplays 'Today you must activate the windows'
    And I started the activation today for just a try more and got succeed!!!

Thanks All,

Regards,
    Bala