Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660-17J - Power on issue

1. Satellite C660-17J - Power on issue
    Beginner
    Hi there,

I have purchased a Satellite C660-17J and occasionally when I turn it on (holding the power button for 2 or three seconds and then releasing) - it doesn't seem to power on properly eg - fan starts - power light comes on - but not screen. If I hold the power button again it goes off. Then if I try again it will come on but the date and time resets itself to 2008.

Any ideas or will I have to send it back to Amazon as faulty? (could do without doing that!).

2. Re: Satellite C660-17J - Power on issue
    Master
    Hi ebarnyard,

When you connect an external screen, can you see something on it or is it still black as internal screen?

> Then if I try again it will come on but the date and time resets itself to 2008.
    Do you mean the time of Windows or BIOS?

Generally speaking I must say this is no normal behavior and in my opinion itís something wrong with hardware itself. So I would contact an authorized service provider in your country and ask the guys to check your notebook whatís wrong with it because hardware repair is for free due warranty time ;)

3. Re: Satellite C660-17J - Power on issue
    Beginner
    Haven't tried connecting a screen - will do next time it does it. I see your thinking! Its the Windows time/date I was referring to although not looked at the BIOS. Yes I feared it might be a return job. Thanks for replying

4. Re: Satellite C660-17J - Power on issue
    Beginner
    Hi - have tried to connect a screen when it did it again and nothing comes up on that either, I went into the bios on starting up and the date time on the bios has also been reset to 2008

5. Re: Satellite C660-17J - Power on issue
    Master
    > I went into the bios on starting up and the date time on the bios has also been reset to 2008
    It looks like a RTC (BIOS) battery would be empty because the date and time has been reset.
    Otherwise it might be a motherboard issue.

Try this.
    Power on the notebook. Go to BIOS and set it to default. Check the data and time. Set it to the right value and save the changes.
    The notebook should be connected to AC adaptor.
    Leave it connected to a longer period of timeÖ I mean 10-12 hours. This will recharge the RTC battery.
    Then you could check the BIOS data and time once again. Ensure that both values have not changed. Then try to install the OS again.

If this is not possible, then ASP should be conntacted

6. Re: Satellite C660-17J - Power on issue
    Beginner
    Hi,

I know this is a little old but i have a similar problem with a new 2011 model, the C660 1f1

Sometimes the power button just doesnt work, sometimes it take several presses and or a press and hold for at least 5 seconds.
    Other times it turns on first time, is this a fault or maybe a batch problem as this it the second one thats done this to me as i have already had it swapped...?

any help yould be great, maybe a bios update????

thanks for any help.