Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade

1. Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade XP
    Beginner
    We have a Satellite Pro A300-2C4 (purchased 23/11/09) which came with Vista Business 32Bit installed but was downgraded (using disk provided) to Windows XP because of business network requirements.

When Windows 7 became available I purchased the Windows 7 upgrade DVD that Toshiba were offering so that if the Business decided to upgrade to the new operating system we could do so on this laptop.

This is what I have recently tried to do to discover it cannot be done as the DVD is for Win Vista Bus to Win 7 Pro upgrade.What is the best way to do the upgrade without having to purchase another upgrade disk. I do have a set of Recovery Discs for another Toshiba SatellitePro A300-2C4 which was purchased about 2 months before this one; these were created using the Toshiba Recovery software before any changes were made on the laprop. Would I be able to recover the system to its Windows Vista state using these discs and then use the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD to do the upgarde?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly received.

2. Re: Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade
    Hi TKG

Upgrading from WinXP to Win7 is not supported by Toshiba nor by Microsoft.
    The only possible way to upgrade (go from 1 installation with some data to Win7 and keeping your settings and data) is from WinVista SP1 or later.

So regardless of how You look at it, You need to get XP out and either begin with WinVista factory installation + any 1 million updates that were released after this, OR
    you can boot up from the Win7 media directly and install clean.
    The second method saves a lot of time BUT have some negative side effects - namely not all drivers and utilities will be available in the final system if installed clean.
    Some packages from WinVista works well in Win7 and are for that reason expected to be in the system during the update.
    Hence, if You do a clean install, they will be missing.

However, they might not cause any trouble for You if they are not there, but that is not known until You're there and can see what You are missing.
    Basic functionality should be expected though (WLAN, LAN, Sound, video....so on)

So, think about what You want to do and get busy with either recovering your unit with the WinVista set, updating, and then running the Toshiba Upgrade DVD, Win 7 upgrade and finally the Toshiba upgrade DVD again, OR just install Win7 clean + adding as much as possible / needed from the Toshiba Upgrade DVD.

Good luck!

3. Re: Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade
    Beginner
    Many thanks, MannerhagenVPO,

I dont have any data that needs to be saved in Windows XP and I have the upgrade disc to go to Windows 7 from Vista.

I have just tried to use the recovery discs which I produced when we bought a similar pc, but because the Toshiba Recovery application which created them was probably wiped off when Windows XP was installed, the files are not much use as there appear to be no .exe files. Is there anyway of obtaining the Recovery application as a Download from Toshiba and then try again? I think I am probably cluthching at straws here, but would it be possible to ask Toshiba for the Windows Vista CD just to get the pc to that OS and then I could use the upgrade DVD that they have supplied.

Thanks agan,

4. Re: Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade
    Hi

The recovery medias should be booted from. So if there are any EXE files existing on them or not is not very interesting - all stuff if pushed onto the PC automagically once You have started the process.

Put disk 1 of 2 or 3 in the ODD tray, start the unit and press F12 to bring up the boot device selection menu.
    Choose CD/DVD and press ENTER.

Make sure to have the AC adapter plugged in while doing this.

If You can not get hold of the right or all discs, Toshiba hosts a webservice were the orginal disks can be purchased:

http://backupmedia.toshiba.eu

Good luck and have fun!
    Tom

5. Re: Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade
    Master
    This upgrade set offered by Toshiba is for upgrade from Vista to Win7. So if you want to use it you must install Vista recovery image at first.

After doing this you can upgrade preinstalled Vista to Win7 following Toshiba’s upgrade instructions.
    I have done the same on my Qosmio X300.

If you cannot use created recovery disc either order Toshiba’s Vista recovery disc or (maybe better solution) install own Win7 version. A300 is fully supported for Win7 and you can download all necessary drivers and Toshiba specific tools and utilities.