Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Warm upper left corner of the Portege

1. Warm upper left corner of the Portege
    Beginner
    My new protege has heating issue. upper left corner(power button area) is heating up pretty bad and doesn't cool down easy.
    Is this common for everyone, or is there anyway that i can reduce the heat?

I tried to use cooling perfomance maintanace pre-installed application, however, it keeps want me to close all the applications in use, however, I do not any application on. Any solution?

2. Re: Warm upper left corner of the Portege
    Master
    > My new protege has heating issue. upper left corner(power button area) is heating up pretty bad and doesn't cool down easy. Is this common for everyone, or is there anyway that i can reduce the heat?

I guess this is your first “small” notebook which supports such big CPU/GPU performance. You will notice this on all small (~13”) notebooks. Why? Because the cooling modules are placed on the left and the whole warm air flows from this direction.
    I’ve got U400 series. It’s 13” unit and the left area is warm too because of the cooling modules.

Furthermore the unit supports an overheating protection which means that the notebook would shut down automatically if the temperature is too high.
    Does the notebook shut down automatically? No?
    Well, in such case the temperature is ok and not too high.

Of course you can change the Win 7 power management settings in order to decrease the CPU and GPU performance which would lead to lower heat dissipation. This keep the temperature at lower level.

Greets

3. Re: Warm upper left corner of the Portege
    Master
    > My new protege has heating issue. upper left corner(power button area) is heating up pretty bad and doesn't cool down easy. Is this common for everyone, or is there anyway that i can reduce the heat?

I guess this is your first “small” notebook which supports such big CPU/GPU performance. You will notice this on all small (~13”) notebooks. Why? Because the cooling modules are placed on the left and the whole warm air flows from this direction.
    I’ve got U400 series. It’s 13” unit and the left area is warm too because of the cooling modules.

Furthermore the unit supports an overheating protection which means that the notebook would shut down automatically if the temperature is too high.
    Does the notebook shut down automatically? No?
    Well, in such case the temperature is ok and not too high.

Of course you can change the Win 7 power management settings in order to decrease the CPU and GPU performance which would lead to lower heat dissipation. This keep the temperature at lower level.

Greets

4. Re: Warm upper left corner of the Portege
    Master
    PauPau is right. I don’t know which Portege do you have exactly but I presume on this upper left side is placed cooling grill and place where warm air will be blown out. Due to this, this area is pretty warm.

I have noticed this on my Tecra notebook.
    I don’t know what kind of operations you need on your Portege but if you use it for basic stuff I recommend you to use balanced power plan. Open also advanced plan settings and check cooling method in Toshiba power saver. Set it to battery optimized and this should reduce cooing vent activity.