Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra A2 - Upgrade HDD from 40GB to something bigger

1. Tecra A2 - Upgrade HDD from 40GB to something bigger
    Beginner
    Here are my laptop specs.

Tecra A2-104: Intel® Celeron® ...
    Part Number : PTA20E-07701QEN
    Key Features
    Intel® Celeron® M 330 (1.40 GHz) processor
    Windows XP Professional
    1GB DDR RAM
    40GB Hard Disk Drive. Rotation speed - 4200 RPM. Certification - S.M.A.R.T

Could anybody advise me as to which type of HDD would best suit as current one just isn't big enough. I don't want to go and buy one and realize that it doesn't work.

Thanks

2. Re: Tecra A2 - Upgrade HDD from 40GB to something bigger
    Master
    Hi duff321,

Usually HDD upgrade is no problem because it’s no tricky procedure and if you buy a HDD with more rpm (rounds per minute) and something bigger (120GB for example) your computer should work a little bit faster due higher data density.

Anyway, mainboards with IDE controller have 28bit LBA limitation that means you can use HDDs up to 128GB or with other words 120GB would be the maximum HDD capacity and this should be ok because it three times as much as on old HDD.
    I can recommend HDDs from Western Digital for example but all other brands should work properly.

Just have a look on some online shops or ask your authorized service provider.

3. Re: Tecra A2 - Upgrade HDD from 40GB to something bigger
    Master
    Hi

As spoken above; the HDD controller might not be able to use larger HDDs than 128GB because of the LBA limitation.
    The 48bit LBA is available since ATA-6 and higher IDE controller. So if you have an ATA-6 or higher then you should be able to use the bigger HDDs then 120GB

Greets

4. Re: Tecra A2 - Upgrade HDD from 40GB to something bigger
    Beginner
    Hi, just for information, I have old Tecra A2 with IDE controler and i upgraded it with 320GB WD disk. That s the biggest 2.5" disk available and it works fine ;)

M

5. Re: Tecra A2 - Upgrade HDD from 40GB to something bigger
    Thank you very much for this useful info.
    Can you please post exact HDD model name and model number?