Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7

1. Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Beginner
    Hello,

I've installed Windows 7 on my Qosmio G30-140 but I'm having trouble adjusting the brightness settings.
    Instead of allowing me to set the slider to any position I want I'm stuck with only 3 steps from which to choose from.
    The last one is way to bright and my eyes keep tearing up from having to deal with this insane amount of white, especially on white backgrounds.
    The other two are very, very dark.
    What's going on? I've installed the correct Nvidia drivers.
    Also I can't seem to set the brightness by using the FN keys on my keyboard. They simply produce no result at all.

Help appreciated, I can't work like this.

Thank you!

2. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Beginner
    I managed to tweak it down a notch at the Bios Settings but that still didn't solve my problem.
    Please help.

3. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Master
    Hi

The display brightness can be controlled by FN + F7 and Fn + F6.
    I think you should install the VAP and Flash Card Support Utility in order to get this buttons working!

Check Value Added Package and Flash Card Support Utility which are released for Satellite L500 or newer notebook models.
    In my cases it functioned!

4. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Beginner
    Hello, thank you for your answer.

I've installed the Value Added Package and I've started the "Accessibility" service but that only shows me the graphical meter on top of my screen and, although I can move the intensity bar back and forward with the keyboard buttons (but still it has only 3 steps of brightness) there is no effect on the brightness itself.

The Flash Card Support Utility I couldn't find on my laptop model, should I download it for some other model?

5. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Master
    I donít know which display driver you have installed and where you have downloaded it but fact is that your Qosmio G30 with part number PQG31E is not supported for Windows 7. I have checked Toshiba download page and none of Win7 versions (32/64bit) are supported. So either you have installed display driver for other Toshiba notebook model or you have installed driver downloaded from the net.

Can you please offer some explanation about that?

As far as I know when the right display driver is installed this option must be shown in power management and has nothing to do with FN+F6/F7 options. With right display driver you can change display brightness in Windows 7 power options.

So at the moment Iím afraid you donít have right display driver installed on your Qosmio notebook.
    Which NVIDIA card is inside, GeForce FX Go7600 maybe?

6. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Beginner
    Hi, I've read somewhere that you had to upgrade your bios in order to get Windows 7 working but I didn't even need to do so. Just ran the install disc for Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and it was good to go. I'm using the display driver that windows update installed automatically. I tried installing a specific one from Nvidia later on but it seems as if I already had the best one available.

The card is a Nvidia GeForce Go 7600, I can access the control panel and change brigtheness settings through there but the effect isn't the same as changing the screen brightness through the controls.

Driver version is 179.48.

What do you think I should do?

7. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Master
    Hi

THIS is the right Win7 32bit display driver. Other notebook models are listed there but all of them have identical graphic adapter.

Please remove your driver and install this one. After doing this check brightness options again (in power management) and let us know if everything works properly.

8. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Beginner
    After installing these new drivers the screen brightness got reduced drastically but I still can't change the brightness either through the FN keys or through the power settings.
    Now the three steps of brightness he allowed me to change through on the power settings don't even have any effect.
    Really strange, the image on my second monitor which I have plugged through VGA is displaying with the same amount of brightness as before though.

9. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Beginner
    Okay, I uninstalled the Value Added Pack for Vista and I'm back to the 3-steps of brightness through the power management window. Keys don't do anything.

10. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Master
    Hey buddy to be honest with you.
    This old notebook was designed for WXP and you can use Win7 on this notebook model but Iím 100% sure you will not be able to configure it so good and use all Toshiba specific stuff on it so be happy if the basic stuff works properly like display, sound, LAN, WLAN.

So this FN settings are not so important at the moment.

What I want to know is follow:
    Is your display driver installed properly?
    Is graphic card recognized and listed properly in device manager?
    What is with brightness settings now? Can you use it on maximum level and work on it or not?

11. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Beginner
    Yes, it's installed properly and the card is listed on the device manager.
    I guess I'll just tweak the brightness down to minimum on the BIOS and try to work with it like that.
    Is there a BIOS upgrade for this model? I can only find one for the G50.

12. Re: Qosmio G30-140 - Can't adjust screen brightness on Windows 7
    Master
    Hey,

> Is there a BIOS upgrade for this model?
    BIOS Updates can always be downloaded on offical Toshiba driver download page:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com > Support & Downloads > Download Drivers

But Qosmio G30 is older notebook model so you have to search in *Archive* for BIOS update.

If you have more questions please let us know! :)