Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L650-10M produces rattling noise with delay

1. Satellite L650-10M produces rattling noise with delay
    Beginner
    My laptop often produces a rattling noise (from the speaker or from the headphone)from any sound output device with 2 to 3 sec delay.I dont have this problem all the time but certainly any time couldnt say.This problem occurs even when i m not running any applications like media player.But during this delay i ve noticed that the hard disk is running in full speed as hard disk led light in my laptop indicates. I also noticed that this delay time varies from time to time sometimes 1 sec sometimes upto 7 sec.I fear this could be a hardware problem.My laptops warranty ends by this july if this problem can be recovered by warranty how can i explain this problem to the service provider.I have no proof to produce to the service provider .only possibility is by recording the incident but that s impossible because as i said no one can expect this problem at a very particular time.

I tried reinstalling my windows using the recovery media but still i have the same problem.
    I tried running memtest and it say s no problems or error was there.
    I tried running analyse disk and even defragmentation but there were no errors found.

Before 6 months i had the same problem but one day this rattling noise stood for a long time and finally lead to a blue screen and that marks the end of my disk.at that instance i tried re installing windows using recovery disk but at that time an error came out saying disk is having problem at raid 0 also i cant even login to my laptop at that time and strucks at with a black screen.i took my laptop to the service provider and got my hard disk replaced.Now with the new hard disk the problem still continues.

How can i explain this problem to the service provider???
    suggestions please

Message was edited by: mohdarshad

2. Re: Satellite L650-10M produces rattling noise with delay
    Master
    Hi buddy,

If you are running the preinstalled Windows version with all drivers and tools from Toshiba you should check the tool „HDD protection utility“. I had a similar issue that during music and video playback the notebook “freezes” for 1 or 2 seconds and this was caused by this tool because the HDD head was moved to safe position.

You can change the sensitivity in this tool and I chose the lowest value that did solve the problem :)

Check this!!!

3. Re: Satellite L650-10M produces rattling noise with delay
    Beginner
    hi dude
    i m running the preinstalled version with all drivers and tools from toshiba but there ain t any tool with name "HDD protection utility" i can only find "HDD SSD alert" tool and however there aint any option available in that tool its just a tool saying "ur harddisk is working properly"..

4. Re: Satellite L650-10M produces rattling noise with delay
    Beginner
    i found this in start>all programs>toshiba>utilities>hdd ssd alert

5. Re: Satellite L650-10M produces rattling noise with delay
    Master
    Great!!! Thanks for sharing!