Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195

1. Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have just purchased a Toshiba Satellite C660-195 with Windows 7 pre-installed.

This morning I have switched it on and it came up with a black box with x:windows\system32\drvload.exe in it. This box then disappeared and Startup Repair kicked in. It then told me Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. The advice was to remove any device which had been recently attached to the laptop (such as a webcam or music device) but I have not installed any hardware or devices. I clicked finish and it shut down the laptop.

I switched it on again and the same thing happened (again and again!)

One forum suggests trying the following: Click the 'view advanced options for system recovery and support' link which asks me to choose my keyboard configuration but then when I do & click next it tells me "You must log in to access system recovery options" I am never given the option to log in!!

When accessing the Advanced Startup options using F8 I am still unable to solve this problem. The same thing (above) happens when I try to start in all Safe modes, Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), Debugging mode, Start Windows normally etc. I just don't understand it.

Upon searching other forums they have suggested holding down zero whilst switching on and then chosing Windows 7 to restore the laptop to its factory settings but the same thing happens - it just shows the black screen with x:windows\system32\drvload.exe then launched Startup Repair, which does not fix the problem.

I do not have a windows 7 disk to restore from as I only purchased the laptop 6 days ago and have not had time to do one yet. Also, the laptop should have the restore/recovery on its hard drive but I cannot access it to restore windows.

I am only a home user so do not understand all the technical speak. Please can someone help me?

2. Re: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Master
    Hello

Sorry to hear you have this problem. Fact is that new notebooks are delivered with HDD recovery image only and not with recovery DVD. What you can try now is to install recovery image again using HDD recovery installation.
    If this will work you will have ďout of boxĒ state again.

Please do it following instructions on this document - http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD9102IR0000R01.htm

Please send us some feedback.

3. Re: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Beginner
    Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately I have already tried this and it does not work.

in F8 I can chose 'Repair your Computer' as in screen shot 1.

I can chose my keyboard configuration as in screen shot 2 and when I click 'Next'

I am presented with the message "You must log in to access System Recovery Options. If you are having trouble logging in please contact your computer administrator . . . . . . ." etc

It does not give me the option to log in like screen shot 3 so I cannot progress.

Any further ideas gratefully received!

4. Re: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Master
    On step 2 donít choose or change anything, just click on Next.

5. Re: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Beginner
    Sorry, still get the same message telling me I need to log in.

6. Re: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Master
    Have you tried to login using your Win7 username?
    If you donít use password you donít need to enter anything.

7. Re: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Beginner
    I don't get the option to log in at all - it just tells me I need to log in to assess the options and when I click Ok (the only choice) it restarts the laptop. It never gives me an option to log in.

I know that is the crucial step - I need to see the screen asking me for my user name and password (screen shot 3) to be able to progress but it does not appear.

8. Re: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Master
    Sorry buddy but it is not possible to help you. If the HDD recovery doesnít start and works like described in Toshiba document than is something screwed up.

It is too bad you didnít create recovery DVD as described in Userís manuals and now you cannot install original Toshiba recovery image.
    Iím afraid there are two options for you now:
    -order Toshiba recovery DVD for your notebook model under https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
    -install own Win7

Sorry but I donít know what else you can do about that.

9. Re: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Beginner
    Oh dear. I have just checked and it was actually only Friday when my Husband bought it (just 4 days ago). It worked for him on Friday and today is the first time I have used it and was going to do the backup disks today. We have not installed anything on it so the hard disk must be corrupt or something. I think I will take it back to the shop.

Thanks for checking things out for me anyway.

10. Re: Windows 7 will not boot on new Satellite C660-195
    Master
    Good idea.
    Try to check this with your local dealer. I hope they can help you with this.

Good luck.