Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100 - Memory and hard drive upgrade

1. Satellite A100 - Memory and hard drive upgrade
    Beginner
    Hi guys,

I have a Satellite A100-158, model code PSAA9E-01700VPT. It came with an 80 Gb 5400 rpm S.M.A.R.T. hard drive and 1 Gb DDR2 RAM (533 MHz).

I think my computer is slowing down to a crawl as a result of maybe the hard drive being old and memory low for recent programas so I was thinking of upgrading the hard drive and the memory.

Would a Western Digital Scorpio Black 320 GB 7200 rpm 16 mb 2,5 inch fit ? They say it spins at 7200 with the power consumption of a 5400 rpm drive (maybe just bad marketing).

And would a Kingston Memory module 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz work ? It has a higher frequency than my current ram but then I suppose it can fall back to the max allowed by the motherboard ? I assume that would be 533 Mhz like my factory memory module. I can also buy a 2 GB module from the same exact maker DDR 2 as well but 667 MHz instead.. still higher than my current memory module.

Thanks a lot for any tips... hopefully this will bring my A100 more into today's standards without going for a new laptop :)

2. Re: Satellite A100 - Memory and hard drive upgrade
    Master
    Hello

Generally speaking a HDD with more rpm isnít a problem but it needs a little bit more power and produces more heat but it should work.
    Itís depending on your applications that you run. For normal usage 5400rpm should be ok.

Also RAM modules with higher specification are no problem because itís downgrade compatible to lower speed (533 MHz).
    Kingston is always recommendable, I never had a problem with these modules. :)

3. Re: Satellite A100 - Memory and hard drive upgrade
    Beginner
    Thanks for the prompt reply! I will get me one of these 2Gb modules then...

Well sometimes I run video editing software such as Sony Vegas.. other times I need to record sound via USB into Reaper (a DAW) so these are a little bit heavy applications and if my virtual memory starts trashing then I suppose a faster drive would also help.. also I mostly have the laptop connected to the power socket so battery draining should not be a problem... but heating could be, the satellite heats up quite a bit.

But somehow I just suspect my hard drive is getting old and it's quite full so a bigger one would make things more smooth. If I run firefox, winamp and Vuze I can get really bad performance.. up to the point that the system can take like 5 minutes to shutdown

4. Re: Satellite A100 - Memory and hard drive upgrade
    Beginner
    Thanks for the prompt reply! I will get me one of these 2Gb modules then...

Well sometimes I run video editing software such as Sony Vegas.. other times I need to record sound via USB into Reaper (a DAW) so these are a little bit heavy applications and if my virtual memory starts trashing then I suppose a faster drive would also help.. also I mostly have the laptop connected to the power socket so battery draining should not be a problem... but heating could be, the satellite heats up quite a bit.

But somehow I just suspect my hard drive is getting old and it's quite full so a bigger one would make things more smooth. If I run firefox, winamp and Vuze I can get really bad performance.. up to the point that the system can take like 5 minutes to shutdown

5. Re: Satellite A100 - Memory and hard drive upgrade
    Hi

As far as I know you can use all SATA 2.5Ē HDDs since the SATA interface has not size limitation.

> And would a Kingston Memory module 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz work
    I would not use 800Mhz because the chipset does not allow to run memory at 800Mhz.
    The RAM will run at the same speed which is supported by chipset.
    So if the chipset is limited to 533Mhz then the 800Mhz RAM modules would be clocked down.

6. Re: Satellite A100 - Memory and hard drive upgrade
    Beginner
    Well I was looking again more into this and more issues arised..

Regarding memories, I was looking into Kingston memories. My A100 has the Intel 945PM motherboard, which according to the specifications can have memory modules of 533 or 667 Mhz.
    While shopping around, I can find Kingstone ValueRAM modules of 4Gb (kit of 2Gb, for dual channel memory) running at 667 Mhz and 533 Mhz. However if I look for system specific memory modules from Kingstone I only get 533 Mhz. What's the advantage of these system specific modules ? Are they optimized for my model ? Will the be better than a standard ValueRAM ? I am a bit reluctant to order 667 Mhz ValueRAM modules to find out that they don't work whereas the Toshiba system specific modules should definitely work...

As for the hard drive, I was reading that many owners of older Toshibas claim their computers can only see 120 Gb of a bigger drive. From what I understood, this has to do with the motherboard supporting LBA 24 bits but not LBA 48 bits. Also on the owner manual of my Toshiba it says maximum hard drive space of 120 Gb however maybe it's just because the manual is 5 years old almost ? Is there any way to find out if my Toshiba's SATA interface supports LBA 48 ?
    Also it's unclear whether the SATA interface provided with the 945PM chipset supports 3 Gb/s. Will I need to be changing jumpers on a new hard drive to make it 1.5 Gb/s to work with my Toshiba in case it doesn't support 3 Gb/s ?

Thanks a lot for you help so far guys!

7. Re: Satellite A100 - Memory and hard drive upgrade
    Beginner
    I have found new issues that may lead the original answer as not answered.