Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD

1. Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Beginner
    Hi,

I just got myself a lovely used M400 -- shame they don't make displays like that anymore in the new models.

Anyway, it comes with the original German recovery CD. Anyone who still has an English one he would be willing to swap in return for my German one or sell / lend me the CD so that I can make an English basic install? That would be fantastic!

Cheers,
    David.

2. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Master
    Hello

Yes, properly someone will change the recovery disk with yours but let me give you a word of advice:

If you need a new recovery disk, contact your local authorized service provider. The guys can get in contact with Toshiba and order such a disk for you. Just ask the guys, itís always interesting to talk with them a little bit ;)

Alternative you can start XP installation from a normal Microsoft disk. All drivers and tools you will find on Toshiba page.

3. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Master
    Hi

I recommend installing fresh Windows in English language and then to download and install the drivers.
    I doubt you could order a original recovery disk in English language because this notebook was delivered with german recovery disk.

4. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Beginner
    Hi, thank you both for your kind feedback!

From my understanding I cannot officially get an English recovery CD from Toshiba as replacement for a lost one, because there never was one with this particular M400 model.

I have emailed my local Toshiba Service partner (who already got me a UK keyboard for the machine :-) ), perhaps they can find me one out of courtesy... So I am a little hopeful -- but it would be a lucky break.

I have installed fresh standard XP or Win7 on this machine already without problems, but then it lacks all the value-added software (say, for using the fingerprint sensor, Microsoft OneNote for storking handwritten notes, WinDVD, etc.)

So I would be most grateful if someone with an English M400 recovery CD could make it available to me, either by swapping it with my German CD (in case they want it ;-) ) or some other way (am happy to pay for it, too).

There are shops that sell recovery CDs like this one:
    http://www.gennersales.eu/ReimageXP/toshibaportegem400xpreimage.htm
    but I am a little worried that they say one needs two CDs to re-image. My German recovery CD is just one CD...

Anyone have an experience with such two-CD offers perhaps?

Cheers,
    David

5. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Master
    To be honest, I would not trust such unofficial offers.
    Before spending some money for such unofficial recovery disks, I would purchase a fresh, official Windows disk and would install the drivers from Toshiba.

6. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Beginner
    I have the "fresh" Windows disks (and licenses, just in case you wonder ;-) ) but that does not give me the whole "tablet PC package". And buying these add-ons separately (OneNote etc) is not exactly economical. Moreover, I already have valid licenses for these, I just have the software in German... Incidentially, I can even use these (living in Austria) but it's just awkward doing most of my PC life in English and then using German language software.

So, the fastest clean way should be an original Toshiba recovery disk. That's what I am after.

I have already contacted my local Toshiba Service Centre who promised to see if they could help but I am a little doubtful they can.

If someone can help me obtain an English language M400 recovery CD I'd thus be very grateful.
    I repeat my offer of swapping the disk versus my German one or buying the disk. :-)

Cheers,
    David

+Message was edited: no english language has been removed+

7. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Beginner
    +Message was edited: no english language has been removed+

Hmm, surely you must have German speaking users of this toshiba-europe forum as well? Last time I checked at least, Germany was still in Europe ...

Ah well, I am sure this policy gives someone somewhere a happy fuzzy feeling ...

If you want to be a stickler for English, however, I do need to point out that your comment makes no statement regarding what you removed. It only makes a statement regarding what you did not remove.

Cheers,
    David

8. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Master
    Hey,

The point is not if Germany belongs to Europe or not, the point is that English language is the standard for this forum here because English is the most used language on the world and so it makes the forum more readable.
    It would be funny and useless if some threads you can find in German, English, Italian, etc. language ;)

Anyway, now we should wait for an answer from local ASP. Normally they should be able to help you and provide you an English recovery disk.

9. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Beginner
    Hmm, that would be nice, yes!

Otherwise, I would find it rather ironic that I cannot get an English Recovery CD because Toshiba locks customers into language-specific groups (judging from the difficulties others seem to have had so far in getting a different-language recovery CD) while the forum does not acknowledge the different languages of customers...

If I had my way (and I'm not English), all computing and software (menus etc) would be in English, albeit with international language/keyboard support, but hey...

Cheers,
    David.

10. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Beginner
    Hello Kreil,

did you ever find any info on the recovery discs for the Toshiba M400
    I am also in the same situation and have found no answers.

PLEASE HELP!!!
    If I find out anything I will definitely keep in touch.

lawsonchadwick@yahoo.com

11. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Such recovery disks are not available anymore if you were not able to order this from this page:
    https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

PS; you can order _*ONLY*_ the same recovery disk which were delivered together with the notebook.

12. Re: Portege M400 - Need english recovery CD
    Beginner
    Yes, that is exactly correct!

Unfortunately, it does not solve my problem. Firstly, the M400 recovery CD is not supported for download from this web page any more. Secondly, I do not need the German version, I already have that. I need an English recovery CD.

So I am still hoping for some other user to stumble across this post who either wants to swap the German and English versions or who can give me their English disk (for sale or because they do not need them any more etc.)

In parallel, I am pursuing this through my local Toshiba service centre and as a last backup plan I may have to try one of these unauthorized recovery CDs sold online (for little more than a fiver).

Best regards,
    David.