Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: WXP installation - Satellite Pro L450D

1. WXP installation - Satellite Pro L450D
    Beginner
    Hi,

I'm trying to re-instal windows XP onto a satellite pro L450D after a nasty virus incident but even though I have changed the boot priority in the BIOS to be CD/DVD first, the windows disk in the CD drive is not seen.
    I've now noticed that the DVD drive has an exclamation mark next to it in the BIOS but I'm not sure what this means?

Thanks,

2. Re: WXP installation - Satellite Pro L450D
    Master
    hi,

> I've now noticed that the DVD drive has an exclamation mark next to it in the BIOS but I'm not sure what this means?

maybe, you are talking about device manager but not Bios.

> I have changed the boot priority in the BIOS to be CD/DVD first, the windows disk in the CD drive is not seen.

was cd/dvdrom working before a virus attack? are you sure that you insert a bootable windows disk?

3. Re: WXP installation - Satellite Pro L450D
    Master
    This exclamation mark in device manager is not important for OS installation.
    What you need is to start regular set-up.

Start your notebook and press F12 several times until you see list with all bootable devices. Put WXP installation disc in optical disc drive, choose CD/DVD device and press ENTER. This will force ODD to be first bootable device and ODD should start to read the disc.

In the whole story I see one problem: if you use Microsoft installation disc you need SATA driver and this driver must be loaded before WXP installation starts. Other way the HDD will not be “visible” for WXP set-up.

Do you have it or do you use Toshiba recovery disc?

4. Re: WXP installation - Satellite Pro L450D
    Beginner
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am seeing the exclamation mark (!) in the BIOS and not device manager for sure. The OS no longer boots (I get blue screen). CD/DVD was working before virus attack and the Windows installation disk is bootable for sure too.

The CD/DVD is not listed in the F12 Boot Options list even though I have set it as top of the boot order list in the BIOS. The exclamation mark seems to indicate a problem with the CD/DVD, but I'm not sure??

Kind Regards,

5. Re: WXP installation - Satellite Pro L450D
    Master
    Hey,

The exclamation mark in BIOS means that there is device problem I think so the CD/DVD wouldn’t appear in boot options...

What you can try is resetting the BIOS to default settings. Just press F9 key in BIOS setup, save & exit. Now you can try it again.

If it doesn’t work contact nearest authorized service provider please. The guys can exchange the drive for free if your notebook is under warranty.