Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything

1. DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything
    Beginner
    My Matsu****a uj-846s doesn't seem to want to burn any cd or DVD at all.

I think that it may have started when I updated the firmware. playing DVDs are fine but playing some cds previously burnt on the same drive seems to be a problem as it doesn't recognise the data written on it.
    Other external CD drives can read it when connected to the same laptop.

Has anyone had the same issue and more importantly can anyone help solve this?

2. Re: DVD multi drive doesn't burn anything
    Master
    Can you please tell us what was the reason for firmware update?

Which notebook model do you have?

3. Re: DVD multi drive doesn't burn anything
    Beginner
    I don't understand the question as I assume that updating my drivers should be a part of my routine care to ensure that everything works well. In this case, to ensure improved compatibility.

4. Re: DVD multi drive doesn't burn anything
    Beginner
    I have a Qosmio G20. I hoped that after spending £1300 + on this computer when it just came out that I would get a few more years from it.

I am running Win Xp MCE.
    The firmware update was a direct download from Toshiba's website. Everything else works fine e.g. TV tuner (with updated driver....due to poor reception/stopping and starting.

I am sorry for the delay in replying but I assumed that since your reply would be delayed that I may have received an e-mail from you.

5. Re: DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything
    Hi

The idea of firmware update is good but if the firmware update has nothing to do with CD/DVD driver update.
    However, the Toshiba European driver page does not provide any firmware updates for uj-846s. I didn’t find it in the Qosmio driver area.

However, I think it’s a matter of the disks which you are using.
    Please check different disks from different manufacturers; not all CDs or DVDs use the same standard. Verbatim or TDK –R are good disks… never had any problems…

Furthermore please check this MS doc:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270008/en-us
    Removing upper and lower filters could help too

6. Re: DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything
    Beginner
    Strange because I haven't changed the discs at all.
    I used Sony discs for cdr and philips/generic ones for dvd+r before with no problems.

I tried Verbatim DVD+R today and it is working so far. I used a program - Pareto PC Health advisor that says that my drivers are corrupt?

I suspect that this program is the corrupt one as I would need to pay £20 to register to download the drivers.
    I will let you know if I can burn some stuff later.

7. Re: DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything
    Beginner
    Thanks Master G but now I'm back to square one...nothing writes to dvd or cd, not even using a new external cd writer. The verbatim dics now also do not work(and sony, Memorex, Generic) after burning 2 discs. This is very strange. no one on the web seems to be able to fix this and it seems to be a common problem with Matsu****a drives. I am not buying another external hard drive. I have uninstalled all the CD/DVD writing software and reinstalled only one (Ashampoo) but still no good. Sonic record now which came installed on the computer is not recognising and recorder despite windows sees it as being able to write to cds. I therefore uninstalled Sonic. I also uninstalled Nero 9 essentials that came with the external Samsung cd writer. The regedit fix to remove upper and lower class filters did not help. Running Microsoft'd MATS fix it only told me that neither of my dvd writers were not capable of writing to cd and provided no solution. CD writing is enabled on the drives's properties. I don't know what else to do. All of my drivers were obtained from Toshiba's website.

With regard to the firmware update that you mentioned. I ran a computer detection tool from Toshiba that correctly identified my computer and components. The firmware update was in the list for Win XPP MCE (my OS). Surely toshiba would not add a firmware download for my dvd drive when the know too well that the DVd drive is a Matsu****a uj846s. Odd thing though, my device manager calls the drive Mat****a not Matsu****a.

8. Re: DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything
    Master
    Hi

You should check the registry again and should remove the upper and lower filters once again… in my case an 3rd party applications affected the registry… it was itunes ;)
    I read that also other burning software could change this…
    So take care to this… maybe you will need to uninstall the burning software and then need to clean the registry…

9. Re: DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything
    Beginner
    I have done it several times and no new upper/lower class filters are seen.

10. Re: DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything
    Master
    Hey,

Try using the Microsoft Fix it tool on this page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

11. Re: DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything
    Beginner
    you have said this : *"I think that it may have started when I updated the firmware."*

For the same thing happens. And My CD/DVD is intalled correctly, i have run Fix it from Microsoft site....ect i do all
    but the CD/DVD can not read any CD.

The driver of the CD is insatlled correctly. and Windows Xp MCE recognize it very well.

In fact I have Qosmio G20-123.

*The problem is in the firmware.*

We wait for a new firmware