Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L300 - Can't access the BIOS

1. Satellite L300 - Can't access the BIOS
    Beginner
    My daughter has a Satellite L300 that suddenly failed while on the net. Computer suddenly locked up with the display image whitewashed. Computer could not be shutdown and Task manager would not respond to Alt, CTL, Del.

Notebook was forcibly shutdown with a 5 sec press of the on/off button followed by a restart. The unit began booting up, displaying the Toshiba f2 for bios or f12 for boot selection but no further. Neither the f2 nor the f12 button had any effect - that is BIOS settings could not be accessed with f2 & boot option did not display with f12. Having a Toshiba Vista recovery disc set I inserted disc 1, forced another shutdown followed by a reboot. The disc ran up and displayed " Windows is loading files..." with a progress bar below that grew steadily to 100% followed by the "Microsoft Corporation" logo with the loading bar above. This ran for a few minutes, but then only displayed a large mouse controlled arrow. Disc 2 was never called for, no programs loaded and no functions were available.

The loss of access to the BIOS has me more concerned than the inability to load Vista, but neither is good.

I'm calling on the notebook Guru's to assist me with this baffling problem - HELP!

2. Re: Satellite L300 - Can't access the BIOS
    Master
    Hello

Normally you can access the BIOS if you press F2 key after you turned on your notebook. Press and hold this key until you are in BIOS menu.

If you can boot from recovery disk it should be possible to access the BIOS because it passes the BIOS self test and until there are no hardware problems.

If you connect an external keyboard, can you access the BIOS? Alternative you can also try to press F12 key for accessing the boot menu.

You could also try this if nothing else works:
    [Which steps should be followed if your Toshiba notebook doesn't start? |http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=21]

3. Re: Satellite L300 - Can't access the BIOS
    Beginner
    Thanks for your timely response to my dilemma. Essentially I hadn't been waiting long enough after pressing the f2 button. Access to the BIOS was finally gained, but only after waiting 4 min !!! Nothing looked out of order, so I'm now suspecting my 6mth old 500GB WD HDD.

The good news is that the HDD is still under warranty - The bad news is all of my daughters school work is on that disc !!

If anyone has any other possibilities or advise on how to revive the HDD, please don't hesitate in adding your thoughts to this thread - PPLLEEAASSEE !!

4. Re: Satellite L300 - Can't access the BIOS
    Master
    Hi buddy,

> Nothing looked out of order, so I'm now suspecting my 6mth old 500GB WD HDD.
    You can test this yourself: Remove the HDD and try to start the notebook without it. Access the BIOS again, does it work faster now?
    Sometimes the HDD could slow down the performance if it can’t be recognized properly.

> all of my daughters school work is on that disc !!
    So backup the data as fast as possible.
    But I’m wondering… You don’t make backups from time to time?
    Saved data is important as everything else. ;)

5. Re: Satellite L300 - Can't access the BIOS
    Master
    Remove HDD, put it into 2,5” SATA HDD case and connect to other notebook. Maybe you will be able to have full access to all saved data.

Have you tried to start notebook with F8 at start-up? Test it and try to start notebook in “safe mode”.

6. Re: Satellite L300 - Can't access the BIOS
    Sir,I having a problem.my laptop model is thoshiba satellite L300 it is working fine now when I tried to make boot USB I tried pressing f2 and f12 but no response.iam using an external keaboard because keaboard which is inbuilted is damaged.. Please help me how to change boot to usb