Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Libretto W100 - any Linux users out there?

1. Libretto W100 - any Linux users out there?
    Beginner
    Hi,

Did anyone already test Linux on this machine?

I foresee the following problems:
    - layout of the two screens;
    - the keyboards and the tactile feedback: is this implemented in ROM, or in Windows 7 software?
    - similar for the mousepad;
    - the two keys (keyboard and home).

Anyone?

Regards,
    Wim.

2. Re: Libretto W100 - any Linux users out there?
    Scholar
    I think this machine is definitely not designed for Linux so I believe you will not be able to get it work properly.
    Have you checked some Linux forums if anyone there had the same idea to play with Linux on this small “toy”?

3. Re: Libretto W100 - any Linux users out there?
    Beginner
    Hi,

Not designed <=> not able to work, these are two different things.

Actually I already got Linux working on it, different releases act differently and some device drivers definitely need to be adjusted. Because I read that Fedora should be ahead in touch devices, I tried that, it runs but had some problems on the screen. Ubuntu - both the laptop and the netbook version - run immediately out-of-the-box. It is now up to fine-tuning and getting the second screen (and virtual keyboard) to work properly.

My experience on other systems is that at least Ubuntu is much more battery-friendly, so I hope to get it up completly and the probably wipe the W7 portion.

Regards,
    Wim.

P.S. I tried the W7 in real life (office) usage, but as it eats so much battery, also in the eco-mode, it is impossible to use to the full extent of the hardware. That is a pity, I really gave it a serious try. See one of the other threads for some of the battery life results I obtained.

4. Re: Libretto W100 - any Linux users out there?
    Beginner
    There is some progress in getting the second screen working in Linux:
    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.drivers.intel/2401

On my w100 second screen now works in Ubuntu, but mirrors the first screen (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1595072). Dont know yet if it is fixable.

/ Anfanglir