Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 - Change BIOS Password within OS without knowing password?

1. Portege M400 - Change BIOS Password within OS without knowing password?
    Beginner
    Hello all,

I hope I can get some help / guidance from some one with more experience with the M400 if possible?!

I reinstalled the OS and setup the biometric security for me, which has worked flawlessly! However I stupidly also set up the boot up security (BIOS Password). So when the tablet gets turned on I can scan my finger and get in without any issues, however I now want to turn the boot up security off. So I booted it in to the OS and went to disable it....however it asks for my password....which I have forgot as I have been a typical end user and have been only using my bloody finger!

Does anyone know if I can disable the BIOS security while in the OS using the biomentric security rather than entering a password? I have tried just changing the admin password within the win OS but that doesn't work....any ideas?

Any help with be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

2. Re: Portege M400 - Change BIOS Password within OS without knowing password?
    Master
    > So I booted it in to the OS and went to disable it....however it asks for my password....which I have forgot as I have been a typical end user and have been only using my bloody finger!

You are speaking about BIOS password which you set up in the BIOS?
    As far as I know you cannot remove the BIOS password if you donít know the old BIOS password.
    In such case just the Toshiba ASP could help youÖ just the Toshiba ASP technician could remove the unknown BIOS password

3. Re: Portege M400 - Change BIOS Password within OS without knowing password?
    Beginner
    Hello Tonny,

Thanks for the reply.......Needed to create another user account on this forum as the last one says I do not exist! Nice!

Anyway....I didn't create the BIOS password within the BIOS. It was created with the Toshiba Assist application when logged in. It seems crazy that I can log in to the tablet without issues, using the biomentic application to authenticate myself, however when needing to change something I used within biometrics it needs the password....ouch!

Message was edited by: CCSupport2

4. Re: Portege M400 - Change BIOS Password within OS without knowing password?
    Master
    >I didn't create the BIOS password within the BIOS. It was created with the Toshiba Assist application when logged in
    Itís not matter where you have created the BISO password. The BIOS password can be set also using the Toshiba Assist software (ToshibaHWSetup)
    So if you donít know the BIOS password then you need the help from ASP

5. Re: Portege M400 - Change BIOS Password within OS without knowing password?
    Beginner
    Thanks for the info.

I have found the authorised repairer in the south of England and they will charge £105....which is more than the secondhand cost of the unit so looks like it will end up as spares!

Thanks again.

6. Re: Portege M400 - Change BIOS Password within OS without knowing password?
    Master
    Hi

As far as I know there are more ASP available in UK.
    Please get in contact with all and compare the prizes.
    Here you can find all ASPs worldwide:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/generic/ASP_SUPPORT