Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L500 - Keyboard inactive after sleep mode

1. Satellite L500 - Keyboard inactive after sleep mode
    Beginner
    Satellite L500, Windows 7, Keyboard becomes inactive after waking up from Sleep. Reboot cures the problem.

Help would be welcome Please!

2. Re: Satellite L500 - Keyboard inactive after sleep mode
    Master
    Hi Altone,

That’s strange but in my opinion you should try a BIOS update. Newest BIOS version for your notebook you can download from Toshiba page:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com > Support & Downloads > Download Drivers

But let me give you a word of advice: BIOS update is always a little bit risky so make sure that you are logged in as Administrator. Furthermore extract all files from zip archive and close all running programs (also AntiVirus).

By the way: Are you using preinstalled Windows 7 from Toshiba or did you make your own Windows installation?

3. Re: Satellite L500 - Keyboard inactive after sleep mode
    Master
    Hi

Keyboard driver is part of the Windows OS.
    It’s Microsoft driver and you cannot update the driver…
    I agree with C3PO… try BIOS update and then set the BIOS to default settings (F9 in BIOS)

Hopefully this would help…

4. Re: Satellite L500 - Keyboard inactive after sleep mode
    Beginner
    Thanks C3PO, for the reply.

My laptop is only 10 months old, and I have recently had notification via the Action Centre that a BIOS update was available which I installed. I am using the pre-installed Win 7 64 bit system.

The problem isn't consistant, sometimes the keyboard works, other times not. the scratch pad and the left/right keys always work. It seems that the longer I leave the computer in Sleep mode the more probable the fault occurs.
    I cannot find anything to do that causes the problem ie it is not repeatable.

5. Re: Satellite L500 - Keyboard inactive after sleep mode
    Beginner
    Thanks Tonny for your reply.

See my replies to C3PO, I will reset my Bios and see if that cures the problem. I haven't touched the BIOS on this computer since I had it so perhaps after the last BIOS update it needs resetting.

6. Re: Satellite L500 - Keyboard inactive after sleep mode
    Master
    Ok , thanks for the feedback…
    You said that this issue is not replicable and that this happens sometimes..
    Maybe it’s just a software issue…
    Maybe you should reinstall (use recovery) the OS in order to check if this would help.