Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro A100-830 - HDD upgrade questions

1. Satellite Pro A100-830 - HDD upgrade questions
    Beginner
    I am a complete noob, so please forgive my dumb question!

I would like to replace the HDD from my laptop, is there any combatibilty issues that I should be aware of, or should it just be a case of getting a 2.5" HDD?

Is it easy to buy an external one, and to use the internal drive from the inside the enclosure?

This seems to be the best value way of doing it. Any specific recommendations?
    Thanks!

2. Re: Satellite Pro A100-830 - HDD upgrade questions
    Master
    Hi magicmat,

Usually HDD upgrade is not complicated and therefore you have only to remove the HDD cover on bottom side on your notebook to replace the HDD.

Satellite Pro A100 already uses HDDs with SATA interface so you need such an HDD. Furthermore I would recommend a model with 5400rpm because itís fast enough and doesnít much power.

So thatís all what you must know about upgrade. Theoretically you can use the old HDD as external one with a external HDD case. Also no problem. :)

3. Re: Satellite Pro A100-830 - HDD upgrade questions
    Master
    HDD upgrade is not complicated. As Xardas already wrote what do you need is SATA HDD.
    As I can see in notebook specification it was delivered with 120 GB HDD. I donít know which one you want to use for upgrade but up to 300 GB should be enough.

Check bottom side of your notebook. There you will find HDD cover. Remove it and you will see how the HDD is placed inside.
    If you need some assistance with HDD exchange let us know.

4. Re: Satellite Pro A100-830 - HDD upgrade questions
    Beginner
    I want to replace my hdd with an ssd drive.

I notice in this thread you say the existing drive in the computer is SATA. However, the specs for my machine Part Number : PSAACE-00W002EN, states it has a TOSHIBA MK1234GSX HDD.

The specs for this HDD say it is a ATA-7

Is ATA-7 = to SATA?

SATA SSD drives seem to be the most popular but I cannot invest until I know which is correct, the specs or the posters in this thread.

I am wondering if I am reading something wrong, I certainly hope so.

5. Re: Satellite Pro A100-830 - HDD upgrade questions
    Master
    Hi buddy,

You can check it yourself if your notebook has SATA interface or not.
    And the previous users already wrote that Satellite A100 has already SATA interface and so you have to can buy a SSD with SATA interface. :)

6. Re: Satellite Pro A100-830 - HDD upgrade questions
    Beginner
    I just ran Crystaldiskinfo - a great program.

It said:

Serial ATA

SATA/150

Standard: ATA/ATAPI-7

Now I need to know if my system can support SATA/300 :)

Link: [http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-Serial-ATA/27/3]

7. Re: Satellite Pro A100-830 - HDD upgrade questions
    Master
    Hello

Every HDD with SATA interface is compatible to all SATA interfaces.

That means if you buy a HDD that has SATA300, it will run on SATA150 mode but there is no big performance difference.

8. Re: Satellite Pro A100-830 - HDD upgrade questions
    Beginner
    Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer.

However, what I should have said is that if the mobo cannot support SATA/300 then there is no point in buying SATA/300, hence my enquiry.