Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A205 - Vista Backup and Restore Center with WiFi hard drive

1. Satellite A205 - Vista Backup and Restore Center with WiFi hard drive
    Beginner
    I would like to use Vista Ultimate's Backup and Restore Center to back up my Satellite A205-series laptop's hard drive to an external hard drive wirelessly. The external hard drive (which is NTFS-formatted) is directly attached (via a USB port) to my Belkin N+ wireless router, instead of being plugged directly into my laptop.

I know this WiFi network-based hard drive is recognized by my Satellite A205 series laptop, because it appears as "Drive Z:" when I click on "My Computer"...but the version of "Backup and Restore Center" that was included on my Satellite A205 laptop only allows backup to DVDs or a directly-attached hard drive--not network drives (strange for a laptop with built-in WiFi).

On the other hand, the version of Backup and Restore Center that is found on my computer at my office (also running Vista) only lists the drives on the computer at first--but includes a "More:" hyperlink whereby somebody with Admin rights can click and get access to network drives.

This "More:" hyperlink does not appear on the version of Backup and Restore Center on my Toshiba Satellite 205 laptop.

I can't even get anyone at Microsoft to talk to me without first
    charging $69.95 for the "privilege".

Any suggestions?

2. Re: Satellite A205 - Vista Backup and Restore Center with WiFi hard drive
    Master
    Hi irsharp23,

> but the version of "Backup and Restore Center" that was included on my Satellite A205 laptop only allows backup to DVDs or a directly-attached hard drive--not network drives (strange for a laptop with built-in WiFi).
    lol
    I think this is not a Toshiba related issue. Backup and Restore Center is designed from Microsoft and Toshiba has nothing to do with that. So I think you have to get in contact with Microsoft guys to ask for a solution or maybe there is an update for this tool.
    Have you checked this?

Furthermore why you donít connect the external HDD directly to your notebook? I donít see a reason for connecting such a backup HDD via network because this backup image can only be used on your notebook.

Alternative I can recommend Acronis True Image that can save backup images on network or you use Microsoft SyncToy to synchronize your files between notebook and network. ;)