Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L500 - black screen after manual or auto restart

1. Satellite L500 - black screen after manual or auto restart
    Beginner
    Hi everyone,

This has frustrated me for three weeks but I have only just realised it is associated with restart either manual or software requested.

My 6 week old L500 laptop refuses to do other than display lights for indiactors on front - no light on keyboard, no screen, fan running but no disk activity I can hear.
    I have somehow managed to break through on three occasions by forcing shut down using the power on/off hold down, removing battery waiting and then starting up.

Earlier today it decided to restart under this method and I was able to quickly jump in and dump my Libraries and outlook.pst to an external hard drive cause my business runs off it.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?
    This is the first Toshiba I have ever owned and it's really frustrating to have to fire up this 4 year old Acer to find a solution to my problem.

Maybe the problem is Windows 7 but can't find my way through that place to an answer.

Anyone, please???

2. Re: Satellite L500 - black screen after manual or auto restart
    Master
    Hi

You mean the L500 does not boot anymore?
    The workaround removing the battery and ac adaptor doesn’t help anymore?

Hmm… usually this should not happen… sometimes the notebook could hang somewhere during the stand by or hibernation and the mentioned workaround could be a option to wake up the unit…

It’s hard to say what’s going wrong here… possibly it’s hardware related issue…
    So maybe it would be the best get in contact with an local ASP… the warranty should be valid and I think everything should be done for free…

3. Re: Satellite L500 - black screen after manual or auto restart
    Beginner
    Yes it is very odd. Left the L500 on battery only overnight at the black screen and it ran down to zero battery and started first go this morning (GMT+10 here). Looks like there may be a solution but I have been trying haphazard stuff - is the a recommended fix procedure that you can send thread for me. Thanks I think I will avoid restarts altogether if possible.

4. Re: Satellite L500 - black screen after manual or auto restart
    Beginner
    Local ASP have advised it seems to be a display problem and have booked in for service. Now I get to drive 45 min each way then wait 5-8 business days to see if they fix it. Oh well let's hope this old Acer hangs in long enough. Thanks for your suggestion, seems to be an intermittent display problem that is increasing in frequency. Thank you - Bob

5. Re: Satellite L500 - black screen after manual or auto restart
    Good luck Bob and thank you for the feedback.