Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite A200 - Beep Noise after Startup

1. Satellite A200 - Beep Noise after Startup
    Beginner
    Hi Everyone,

Just recently has my laptop started malfuntioning.
    Yesterday, after startup (or when you take it out of sleep mode) it started beeping -

Beeping is 10 short in a row, fast.

I run a stock standard Satellite A200, using Windows Vista.
    I do not know what to do, and during the beeping (which lasts about 10 - 15 minutes) I cannot do anything - the CPU (i think) simply cannot handle any processes. The beeping comes from the right side of the laptop, and is feint, but definately a sign of a problem.

I believe it has something to do with the motherboard, but I don't know how to diagnose this problem, and after hours of searching I have not found anyone with a similar problem to mine.

I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum, as the boards are confusing and I cannot find a technical support one.

Please Help,
    Victor11

2. Re: Satellite A200 - Beep Noise after Startup
    Hi

As I understand your problem, it seems that you are not able to get into the BIOS and you are not able to boot the Window OS.
    You cannot see the Toshiba Splash screen as well… Is it right?

Hmm… it seems that this beeping sound is related to a hardware malfunction…
    So possibly the POST (power on self test) cannot be passed properly and therefore you get this alert beep sound…

What to say; in most cases it’s motherboard related but it’s hard to say what could be exactly wrong…

Maybe you could try this;
    Remove battery and disconnect the AC adaptor for some hours…
    Wait and after some time connect both parts again…
    Then try to power up the unit again…

If this will not work, then I would recommend asking an ASP technician for a help…

3. Re: Satellite A200 - Beep Noise after Startup
    Master
    Hey,

Can you start from Windows or access BIOS? Do you see something on internal display?

As MasterG wrote, these beep codes are hardware related and tells you there is a hardware problem.

Here in forum I founded an interesting article for you:
    [ Which steps should be followed if your Toshiba notebook doesn't start? |http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=21]

If it doesn't work you need professional help from an ASP I think...
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com => Support & Downloads => Find an authorized service provider

4. Re: Satellite A200 - Beep Noise after Startup
    Master
    Hi

It's definitely hardware malfunction, I think it's cpu issue but to say exactly, your laptop need to tested. You can also remove and replace memory modules. In your case, you should get in contact with service center. It's pretty complicated to fix such problems at home.

5. Re: Satellite A200 - Beep Noise after Startup
    Beginner
    Sorry if I forgot to mention this, but i mean startup as in after I can see my wallpaper and the windows start menu button etc, not on the TOSHIBA loading screen.

I also run my laptop straight off the charger (no battery is plugged in most of the time)

My laptop starts, and it works fine after the beeps (which go away after a while, however I fear that it is a sign of bad things to come in the future) - the beeps happen after windows has loaded but practically freezes my computer for the next 10-15 minutes.

The laptop is fine, except for the beeping and freezing. - I do not have that much experience with changing settings at boot up but I checked and I can get into those things without a problem.

Overheating has been a problem (in the past and in the present)

Thanks for your suggestions, my apologies for not including some of the information.

6. Re: Satellite A200 - Beep Noise after Startup
    Master
    > mean startup as in after I can see my wallpaper and the windows start menu button etc, not on the TOSHIBA loading screen
    > my apologies for not including some of the information

It's important information ;) Now, it makes to think that is Os/driver related issue. You see, when some information missed it leads to a wrong conclusion. I thought, it was hardware malfunction...
    The best way is restore the factory settings to be sure if it's Os or hardware malfunction.