Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?

1. Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
    Beginner
    Hey all.

Was putting windows XP onto my Satellite L350D, worked fine, had all the drivers in etc and working perfectly. Came back onto the toshiba website and saw there was a BIOS update for it, so, downloaded, and told it to install. Half way through it shut the laptop down (power pack fine and had full battery, so must have been the update).

Now it won't boot up what so ever. The power light comes on but nothing else works.

Im guessing it has wiped the BIOS or corrupted it, is there any fix for this or can I send it back to toshiba or am I out of luck?

2. Re: Satellite L350D - Bios crash?
    Master
    Hi,

The Bios failure is one of the most painful problem in this forum. Too many threads about bios failure posted and typical answer is to contact the ASp. Read this, may be useful for you

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21209

3. Re: Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
    Master
    Hi buddy,

Yes, now it seems that the BIOS is corrupt and it must be reflashed from an authorized service provider. This is a tricky procedure so these tools canít be downloaded and are only available for ASPs.

On the Toshiba website you can find a list of all ASPs. Just contact the nearest one in country and ask for help. The guys will help you as best as possible :)

4. Re: Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
    Beginner
    Excuse my noobieness but what is an ASP?

Thankyou for the post to that forum, looks like a good step by step guide and may concider giving this a go myself! Never flashed a BIOS before and the warranty has already run out so, hey, what have I got to lose?!

Cheers for the help so far guys, will post back if I find a way of fixing this.

5. Re: Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
    Master
    > Excuse my noobieness but what is an ASP?

It means authorized service center.

6. Re: Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
    Beginner
    Dependant on your skill level a new bios chip can be placed on the board. I'm not familular with your board but generally bios chips come in two flavours, ones that you can place in a holder (more often or not on desktops) and ones that are soldered onto the motherboard. There are places on line that sell bios chips loaded with your laptops bios, it's just a case of then replacing the chip. If you have no soldering skills I wouldn't recommmend doing this yourself though.

7. Re: Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
    Beginner
    Thanks for the replies.
    Have decided to try and replace the BIOS, but can not find where it is located on the board, anybnody have any ideas where it is?

8. Re: Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
    Master
    > Have decided to try and replace the BIOS, but can not find where it is located on the board, anybnody have any ideas where it is?

Bios is recorded on flash memory chip (small chip), so you need to remove all this chip. To be honest, it's not good idea. I can hardly believe that you can do it yourself. Even at service center, the technicians prefer to replace all the motherboard. It's a tricky procedure.

9. Re: Satellite L350D - BIOS crash after update?
    Master
    Hello

You canít change the BIOS on mainboard. Usually the BIOS is stored on a ROM module and this is fixed/soldered on mainboard. With other words you canít exchange it.

In my opinion the best option is contacting an authorized service provider in your country. The guys have professional notebook tools and can reflash the ROM module. So just contact them and explain the situation. They will help you!!!