Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra S11 Fresh Install

1. Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Beginner
    Hello,

I'm a network and system builder so i think i know what i'm doing... although maybe one of you could help me solve this issue
    I'f contacted Toshiba Netherlands but the just don't know what to do... so you are my last hope;)

the story:

I'f bought a new Tecra S11 came with BIOS version 1.6 (very old i think)
    removed the original HDD and used a SSD instead.
    Installed a fresh WIndows 7 Profecional and tried to get everythink working....

Now fist of all I was unable to update the bios to version 1.7/2.0/2.2 (latest)

Toshiba Netherlands told me I needed to use the default Toshiba provided Image
    and that Toshiba didnít support BIOS updateís on non-preinstalled-OS's..... (which is really strange in my opinion!)

So I replaced my SSD with the original HDD (with original Image) and updated the bios... today to version 2.20 (latest)

Now when I install my SSD with my own Windows 7 installation (non-Toshiba install) Iím unable to install almost any
    of the Toshiba provided Utilities...
    For example the Eco utilities tells me after starting the setup "Unsupported BIOS"
    Iíve installed ALL Toshiba's utils and patches which ware passible... but half of it isnít!!!

bottom-line, is there a way to "force" the ECO and all other utilities that aren't working in a NON-Toshiba installation?

Any help would be appreciated! I just canít believe / except that there is now way to get a fresh windows install working the proper way
    with all Toshiba's Utils!

Thank you in advance,

Jacob

2. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Beginner
    Have you considered cloning your old disk and replicating on the ssd?
    I have a clean install and remember having difficulties with launching the bios software, and also the graphic drivers.

I solved it by downloading all the newest drivers from Toshiba support page, and installing them (especially chipset driver - that helped for the gfx drivers). I havent checked what fixed the bios updater, but now it responds nomally. I havent flashed it yet, though, as I don't know what id does, and apparently - nobody does.

As for utilities, I only have the BT, fingerprint util. and function buttons (value added, without zooming), along with toshiba power saver.

All of the rest isn't really necessary in my opinion, so my advice would be to go without or finding better replacements.

3. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Beginner
    Thank you for your reply

Think is, I do NOT want to use the original install with all the extra software... (usless garbage!)

so that won't get me any further..

BTW, I did manage to install the chipset drivers and all devices in the Device Manager are working properly..

4. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Master
    Generally speaking all stuff you can find on Toshiba download page are the same as integrated in Toshiba recovery image.
    To be honest I donít understand you at all.

If your notebook was delivered with Win7 you can install this image on your new SDD. Toshiba recovery image contains all important drivers, patches and Toshiba specific tools and utilities so using this recovery image you will have perfect configured operating hardware and software.

So as I can see you have one problem only - additional Toshiba software. Nobody force you to use all this. All you donít need just remove from the system. You can remove all you want but you will still have well working OS. After doing this install your favorite software.
    Toshiba recovery image is good base for creating optimized and perfect preinstalled OS based on your own needs.

To be honest I do the same all the time. Believe me for software removing usually I need whole hour but at least have exact what I want to have.

5. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Beginner
    Thank you for your replay!

Now I think you don't understand the question,

why is a installation provided by Toshiba capable of handling with the ECO utilities and a default clean installation not?
    especially why a error which says: "unsupported BIOS" it just does not compute!

what did Toshiba with the installation so the software is capable of installing...

by the way, unstrapping the provided installation of all extra tool-bars-antiviruses-and-extra-demo's, I really donít want, is not an option.

Iíve did many many, many reinstallations of machines, laptops and servers and never had such an issue

6. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Master
    It seems the discussion is running in the wrong direction.

First of all it would be interesting to know what Tecra S11 you have.
    There are two series; PTSE3E and PTSE7E.

At this time there is a new BIOS -> version 3.0 on the Toshiba European driver page!!

> Now fist of all I was unable to update the bios to version 1.7/2.0/2.2 (latest)
    I donít know where you have downloaded the BIOS 2.2 but this seems to be wrong!

In my opinion you have used wrong BIOS and therefore you have problems with installation of some Toshiba tools!!

7. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Beginner
    BIOS 2.2, dated 18.05.2010:
    http://support.toshiba-tro.de/tools/eula/calleula.asp?ID=74518

Where do you see 3.0?

Uninstalling demo and useless software is not really worth the hassle, as it's not being removed completely and slows down the system. The same goes for simply 'not using' it. This is my computer, and i want to have only what i need here.
    Tweaking it to working condition would take much longer than clean install.
    Besides - have you tried getting rid of ReelTime or BulletinBoard? I found it impossible.

Also, everything you get preinstalled on recovery image is from production date.
    About half of the drivers are updated since then. I see no reason to not go with the updates. This also takes about an hour to two, all with installing the system, restoring original activation and all the drivers.

As for 'unsupported BIOS' errors - my guess is, that Toshiba software, which relies strongly on the type of your laptop checks for some model-specific information you get along with some of the drivers/software. If it can't find it, you get the generic error message lazy programmers left there.

8. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Beginner
    Yes 2.2 is the latest...

I agree totaly Sonnarch, using the original image is a waste of time... Still praying for the day OEMS understand this,
    I would rather pay an extra 50 euro's or so and get a clean and proper installation of an OS

+As for 'unsupported BIOS' errors - my guess is, that Toshiba software, which relies strongly on the type of your laptop checks for some model-specific information you get along with some of the drivers/software. If it can't find it, you get the generic error message lazy programmers left there.+

Then, when I've installed almost every thing Toshiba is providing with the original image it's still unexplainable why the Toshiba-service station downloads
    the new BIOS update (2.2 for example) and as soon as it starts to "install" gives the error message...

9. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Master
    Hi guys

SorryÖ. I looked accidentally on the Tecra S10 driver page instead of Tecra S11.
    You are right. BIOS 2.20 is the latest one.

Can you please post the list of Toshiba tools which cannot be installed or which give you an error?

10. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Beginner
    Here's my list of drivers / toshiba soft I have installed (the bios package doesn't complain, but I still haven't executed it, though):

ALPS Touch Pad Driver
    AuthenTec Fingerprint Software
    Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba
    Intel(R) Network connection drivers
    Intel(R) Turboo boost technology driver
    Nvidia Drivers
    NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager
    NVIDIA PhysX
    O2Micro OZ776 SCR Driver
    Realtek High Def audio Driver
    RICOH R5U230 Media Driver ver.2.07.03.02
    TOSHIBA Fingerprint utility
    TOSHIBA Value Added Package

+ fresh, newest windowsupdates, and PowerSaver, which is not listed in cpl.

I've installed x64 Win7, the same language I bought, and used ABR to bring back the activation from OEM to fresh system.
    Somewhere along the way (even before installing display drivers) bios updater failed to run.
    Did you do everything I did?

11. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Master
    >I would rather pay an extra 50 euro's or so and get a clean and proper installation of an OS
    Please don't be mad on me but it is the joke of the day.
    Proper OS installation???? Recovery image is not proper or what?

Anyway, you have right to do what you want and clean OS installation is OK option. As you know after OS installation you must install all necessary drivers, tools and utilities one by one.
    *It is important to install them following right installation order.*

Many people do this following alphabetical order but it is wrong. Right Instalaltion order is very important. Here is Installation order for S11 and I hope it will help you with fresh Win7 installation

WIN7
    TOSHIBA Assist
    TOSHIBA Extended Tiles for Windows Mobility Center
    Infineon TPM Software
    Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility
    Intel Management Engine Interface
    Active Management Technology (AMT)
    Display Driver
    Intel Storage Driver
    TOSHIBA Value Added Package
    Realtek Audio Driver
    NVIDIA HD Audio Driver 1.0.2.0
    LAN Driver
    ALPS Pointing Device Driver
    Ricoh Card Reader
    O2Micro Smart Card Reader Driver 1.1.4.207G
    TOSHIBA Software Modem
    TOSHIBA Software Modem Region Select Utility
    Wireless LAN Driver
    ConfigFree
    TOSHIBA Network Device ID Registry Setting Tool
    TOSHIBA 180 Degrees Rotation Utility
    TOSHIBA Fingerprint Utility
    TOSHIBA Face Recognition
    Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba
    TOSHIBA eco Utility 1.1.12.64
    TOSHIBA HDD/SSD Alert 3.1.64.4
    TOSHIBA HDD Protection 2.2.0.3
    TOSHIBA Service Station V2.1.40
    TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor 1.5.1.64
    TOSHIBA USB Sleep and Charge Utility 1.3.2.0
    TOSHIBA Web Camera Application V1.1.2.6

Good luck.

12. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Beginner
    Well unfortunately I was one of those people who didn't know there was a certain order of installing the software.
    I started with chipset and other drivers and then just installed all the extra's

i'll tray and go with your procedure to check weather it will solve the problem.

I'll report back as soon as possible!

thankyou again!

ps, don't get me wrong I didn't blame you for this, please forgive me if i said somthing bad it was not what i meant to do!

13. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Master
    Hey buddy just be cool. ;)
    We are here to discuss about different questions and it is quite normal that every of us has own opinion.

Iím happy you are here with your problems and also hope we will help you to solve any possible issue with your Tecra notebook.
    If you have more question let us know.

Good luck.

14. Re: Tecra S11 Fresh Install
    Beginner
    I started the TOSHIBA Extended Tiles for Windows Mobility Center setup it doesn't do a thing unfortunately... setup starts after the automatic extraction..
    and disappears.. nothing happens... same thing for Infineon TPM Software and TOSHIBA Value Added Package

I continued to install from the list As*** provided... came to the ECO until... error message: Unsupported Bios

One thing i'm really happy about, the dockingstation I received today works fine after installing the serial-USB driver!

I appreciate your help guys! thanks