Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games

1. Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Beginner
    Hi all,

My friend bought a Toshiba satellite A500-1DN about 2 months ago. After around 2 weeks she decided to put 2 games on it (guildwars and jedi knight academy). We soon realized that after about 1 hour of gaming, the computer would crash to a black screen rather than going to a blue screen of death. This meant there was no hint of what was specifically causing the problem and no mini dumps from windows...
    Having had troubles with those specific games myself on Windows 7, I thought it must be the games.

About a week later she spent around an hour looking through youtube videos only to find that her computer crashed in the same way as the game. So I put some diagnostic software on the computer. Processor / graphic card overheating? But nothing, the temperatures were stable and acceptable and certainly wouldn’t have been the cause of these crashes, unless I unluckily missed the point where it did over heat shrugs so I didn't outrule it...
    Due to the problem so far seeming to be video related, I downloaded new nvidia drivers (unfortunately the official ones didn’t work and I had to hunt for a custom .inf). It didn't solve the problem but the driver seemed to be functioning suitably well.

So in our rage, we sent it back stating that it may be that the cooling for the laptop, ie copper pipes were not sufficient for the graphics card and Toshiba said they had cleaned the computer up replaced thermal paste, all that typical stuff... which seems very fair. We got it back. We played a game and it crashed within 10 minutes. Perhaps even worse than when it left.

Is there anything else that could be causing this problem - video related activites causing crash of computer without going to BSOD or returning any specific errors. What about RAM? I have even uninstalled the HDD protection thinking it might be causing some compatibility problems.

I need some guidance.

The spec is:
    Intel core 2 DUO CPU T6600 2.20GHz
    Nvidia Geforce GT 230M
    4GB RAM

2. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Master
    Hello,

Does this happen only if you play games or while surfing in the Internet, Office, etc.?

The games are not known to but if they are a little bit older, they are not compatible to Windows 7 maybe. Have you checked this?
    Look also for a patch for those games. You can get it on the manufactures website.

Furthermore it would be interesting to know what bluescreen code you get exactly. For the most stop codes you can find further informations on Microsoft Knowledge Base.

In most cases such bluescreens are related to drivers or hardware. If all original Toshiba drivers are installed, check the RAM using a diagnostic tool like Memtest86.

Good luck! :)

3. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Beginner
    Please read posts before posting responses :)

4. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Beginner
    Please read posts before posting responses :)

It is nothing to do with the games.

Please please read posts before moving things. :)

And please move the post back, thankyou.

5. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Master
    Hello Jimmy

Described issue is pretty complicated. We can discuss here for weeks but I don't think you will get some answers here. In my opinion described issues are definitely hardware related issues but fact is that you cannot do much about it.

What you want to do as next? Change RAM or what? Spent money for new RAM?
    Satellite A500 is newest notebook model with valid warranty, so don't do anything to cancel the warranty.
    Sorry but I think there is no much you can do about it.

Friend of mine has Satellite P500-128 with the same graphic card and the same OS (Win7 HP 64bit) and until now it works perfectly.

Have you noticed same problem when you watch movies (DVD, BluRay or some AVI files)?

6. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Master
    Hi,

I own A500-1dn and can confirm that this nvidia graphic card driver is compatible:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/197.16/197.16_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international_ whql.exe

it works on mine, so has at his too.

Greets

7. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Master
    Hello Jeka

Respect for all your postings but, in my opinion, it will be better to post the page where people can find a link for download and pick up some info and not just link for the download. Nobody can check this setup link and be sure it is the real thing what they want to have.

You know what I mean? ;)

8. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Master
    You are right. But, you see many users don't want to make a search for drivers, programs or something like this. They want to get already ready things like the download links. By the way, are you a Russian speaker (your nick name is typical for Russians) :) ?

9. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Master
    You are right. It is easy to post here and wait.
    It is OK to help but as I wrote don't post link to exe file but link to page where driver can be downloaded.

No I am not from Russia but I would say “Slavic brother”. ;)

10. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Beginner
    Hi Jimmy

I too have this issue with my A500 Laptop.

I purchased it and within a day it had done its shut down nearing on to 5 times including once during set up damaging windows and causing me to start over.
    I have tried every driver under the sun however I convinced there are two issues.

Number one
    - The cooling unit is incapable of coping with the heat generated, this is my primary thoughts as if I have it sat on my knee I often complain about the heat being generated.
    I plan to place some new sort of miniaturized cooling system in the laptop as it is nearly out of its warranty state anyway now.

Number two
    - the layout of the interior of the laptop means that major components are placed to closely next to one another. Ie the motherboard and Graphics card are situated too closely too one another. I too took it back to Toshiba and they told me there was nothing wrong with it after exhaustive tests much to my frustration they "hoovered" it and handed it back to me with no results.

I also have one speaker that has sunk down leaving wires showing.

I really think this was an average product released that really needed a lot more testing.
    It was advertised to me as a media intensive laptop.
    It CERTAINLY is not that!

11. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Master
    >Number one
    >The cooling unit is incapable of coping with the heat generated, this is my primary thoughts as if I have >it sat on my knee I often complain about the heat being generated.

First of all the notebook should not be used on knees! This is not advisable and not recommended since the cooling fans and grilles could be clogged and this would affect the optimal air circulation which could lead to higher temperature!
    Use it on the table and ensure that there is enough free space around the notebook!

I’ve got an A500 unit and it’s running perfectly.
    I found an BIOS update which helped to reduce the fan noise. A graphic card driver update helped to get rid of some BSOD while gaming.

>Number two
    >the layout of the interior of the laptop means that major components are placed to closely next to one another. Ie the motherboard and Graphics card are situated too closely too one another. I too took it back to Toshiba and they told me there was nothing wrong with it after exhaustive tests much to my frustration they "hoovered" it and handed it back to me with no results.

Motherboard and Graphics card are situated too closely too one another???
    Come on man… are you serious?
    Did you see an NB200, NB300 or an U400 notebook series?
    These notebooks are much smaller as an A500 and all the parts are placed closer to one another!
    All notebooks from any manufacturer are designed in the same manner due to limitation of the space… so it’s nothing unusual and definitaly it's not a problem!

> I also have one speaker that has sunk down leaving wires showing.
    This is not an case with my A500 so I recommend asking service technician for an help!

Bye

12. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Beginner
    To the above commenter.

Thanks for bashing my response I appreciate I may not be the best computer person under the sun, however I do think my IT degree counts for something!

Also if you hadn't noticed the huge number of people complaining about this issue, if you haven't had the issue good for you, however for those of us that are still struggling you telling us to download patches and BIOs and what not that are completely none related to our issue I find to some what unhelpful.
    As for playing with my laptop on my knee, It is also on top of cooling pad which lifts the fans well clear of any clogging.

And if the layout and design of the laptop isn't a problem how come there are so many issues regarding this problem? While I appreciate that you think you know what you are talking about regarding the N series laptops they also have far less RAM, usually don't have a dedicated graphics card and also have the same sized cooling system to cool a much smaller machine.
    I have in fact had the pleasure of speaking with my representative who was very sympathetic with my issue and has currently applied to try a replacement and if I am still having an issue will give me either an equal or upgrade which is very kind of them.
    This is not a cheap laptop and we should not be having the number of issues described by many owners.

I still believe that some of our computers are just "dud" computers and while the issue with some of them is Extreme like my own, some of you don't seem to have the issue.
    There is no current fix for this issue and I would suggest taking it back to you local Toshiba service centre and discuss with them options as they are generally understanding if you are still having issues after the first few visits!

Will keep you updated!

13. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Beginner
    ah, it still does it. even with the new graphic drivers. im realy not sure if its getting hot. i guess ill send it back again and request a refund or a new laptop. this is so bad. every time i load a game or video just about 5 mins in it just cuts out. im actually sure it has gotten worse

14. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Master
    Hi

Such gaming issues are really annoying… I know how you feel…
    It’s really annoying if an game would crash during playing a new level and biting new high scores…
    However, I think it’s also related to a graphic card driver…
    I don’t know if this would help you or not but I searched a little bit in the forum and found some threads about BSOD because of GPU driver.

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=52522
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums//thread.jspa?messageID=207901
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=207494

Go through the threads and check the advices!

15. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Beginner
    i also have the same problem
    mine crashes with Napoleon Total War

Again I have contacted Toshiba and the pc has been sent back . but Toshiba are a waste of space!
    They won't admit that there is a problem with this pc and sort it out.

I will be going to trading standards as this pc is spec'd for gaming but it does not work.

I think we have been mis-sold this product.

16. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Beginner
    IT IS NOT A GRAPHICS CARD PROBLEM!!!!!!!!
    All drivers are up to date
    My game works fine on battery, as soon as i plug it in to the mains it crashes.
    THAT IS A PC HARDWARE PROBLEM!!!

17. Re: Satellite A500-1DN - Crashing while playing games
    Master
    If you would check the other threads then you will find different messages that display driver could solve such problems while gaming…

If you think that this is a harder problem, then the hardware should be checked by ASP technician…
    if the technician would not find anything, then this means that this can be software issue (mean display driver compatibility between game and driver)…

If you have this issue only playing this special game, then you should ask the game support for some tip… maybe some updates are needed…

Greets… and good luck