Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Supervisor Password with Tecra S3

1. Supervisor Password with Tecra S3
    Beginner
    When trying to choose (with F12) a different boot device than 1st harddrive (e.g. CD/DVD, USB-Stick, SD-Card), the system starts only form the built in harddisk. When trying to enter the BIOS (with ESC followed by F1) one can see just a very small selection just of the 1st BIOS page.

All further details (e.g. Boot Priority/Sequence) are not accessible. There is NOT set a User password and/or a HDD password.
    When pressing the INS key before switching on the notebook, it asks for a supervisor Password. Someone has obviously set it and I don't have it. With the normal Toshiba Utilities (e.g. "Assist") it's not possible to remove it, also the LPT-Port connector or the Boot diskette (1st 5 Bytes of 2nd sector modified) doesn't help.

What can resolve this problem.

Thank you

2. Re: Supervisor Password with Tecra S3
    no_user
    Did you tried F2 key when powering up your tecra? This my default BIOS setup menu key

3. Re: Supervisor Password with Tecra S3
    Beginner
    Hi "guest",
    Thank you for yout answer, but it doen't work on a Toshiba Tecra S3. On a "NON-Locked" Tecra S3 "F2" has the same effect as "F12" (to get a selection of possible boot devices), on a "Locked" S3 it has no effect.
    So I still have no access to the full BIOS.

4. Re: Supervisor Password with Tecra S3
    Master
    Hey,

First of all the supervisor password can only be deleted from an offical authorized service provider. You canít delete it yourself if you donít know it.

Furthermore the supervisor password is necessary to change some BIOS settings and it doesnít allow to boot from another device.
    By the way: As far as I know ESC key should allow accessing the BIOS.

Here you can read more:
    [What is a BIOS supervisor password? |http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=51]