Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Portege M400 cpu upgrade?

1. Portege M400 cpu upgrade?
    Beginner
    Hi,
    I am looking to upgrade my portege m400-ez5031 with the fastest cpu it can handle,
    now it is centrino duo T5600 1,83ghz.
    I think the best is T7600 is it possible?

2. Re: Portege M400 cpu upgrade?
    Master
    hi,

I don't know your motherboard's specification if it can handle T7600, but I think you should read:

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB9401AX0001R01.htm

3. Re: Portege M400 cpu upgrade?
    Master
    Well, usually the CPU upgrade is not very easy…

It’s not possible to say if you notebook would run stable or properly after CPU replacement.
    Fact is that BIOS is not tested and not configured for other CPUs and this can cause some compatibility issues which would affect the notebook functionality!

Main issue might be the higher heat dissipation caused by stronger CPU… this would lead to an higher temperature and to overheating…

So be careful and in my opinion the CPU upgrade is not worth since you would not notice a performance boost.

4. Re: Portege M400 cpu upgrade?
    Master
    Hi buddy,

Theoretically CPU upgrade is not supported...

That means your notebook is only pretested with the current installed CPU. Other CPU types must be supported from the BIOS and mainboard and nobody knows this exactly. Furthermore faster CPUs are need a better cooling assembly normally. Maybe this must be upgraded too?!

In your case I would upgrade another hardware part like RAM or HDD. CPU upgrade will not give you a strong performance boost.

5. Re: Portege M400 cpu upgrade?
    Beginner
    Hi everybody,
    Thank's for the replies,
    Anyway, I have already upgraded memory to 4gb and hard disk seagate momentus 200 gb 7200rpm.
    I will go on for the cpu upgrade with a T7600 any hints for a better cooling assembly?

6. Re: Portege M400 cpu upgrade?
    Master
    You can use ONLY cooling modules which are designed for Portege M400.
    Because of the different notebook design you cannot use ANY cooling modules.
    You have to use the modules released for M400 and you can get this from ASP!

7. Re: Portege M400 cpu upgrade?
    Beginner
    the t7600 will fit and it is the fastest cpu for the m400 . just compare the intel product specification of your current cpu and the desired one and you may compate the tdp of both cpus. so if the tdp of the desired one is not higher than the current cpu's one your cooling solution will be sufficient. you can not commonly state that a faster cpu will put out more power.