Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Webcam driver open fail on Satellite A300-1MC

1. Webcam driver open fail on Satellite A300-1MC
    Beginner
    Every time I attempt to start up my integrated webcam (Chicony Camera Assistant Software) the message "Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer." pops up on the computer.
    Firstly I do not fully understand what this means and secondly I have restarted both the camera and the computer, as well as repairing the camera software.

I have looked for updates and drivers, etc but to no avail. I have also read every user manual available in search of an answer but I canít seem to find anything that is of any help.
    I was just wondering if anyone had an answer for me or could tell me what I need to do.

2. Re: Webcam driver open fail on Satellite A300-1MC
    hi Jacktt615,

first of all check if the devicemanager shows a "usb-video-device" from chicony without exclamation mark...
    if the hardware is detected and usable check the driver details:
    my drivers for this device are: ks.sys, usbvideo.sys, uvcftr_s.sys, iyuf_32.sys, ksproxy.as, kstvtune.ax, and among some others, vidcap.ax

if you have more than one chicony video device: delete all and reboot
    download the latest webcam-driver from toshiba, it contains the driver and the software.

3. Re: Webcam driver open fail on Satellite A300-1MC
    Master
    Hello

I had the same problem few weeks ago and I could solve the problem by updating the webcam driver from the Toshiba website.
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com > Support & Downloads > Download Drivers

So download the latest version, remove the old one and restart the notebook. Then install new version.

I doubt that you have searched for updates because the Toshiba shows a driver for webcam.

4. Re: Webcam driver open fail on Satellite A300-1MC
    Beginner
    hello c3po i just did exactly what you told me.
    but yet "Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer" is still popping up everytime i try to access my webcam.
    is there anything further i can do?

5. Re: Webcam driver open fail on Satellite A300-1MC
    Master
    Hi

The advice posted by C3PO is ok and should work.
    You should firstly remove the installed webcam software.
    After that reboot the unit.
    Now clean the OS and registry using an 3rd party application like CCleaner for example.
    Clean registry!
    Reboot again.

Now download the newest webcam software and install it again.
    Reboot again.
    Start the msconfig and go to Startup tab.
    Here uncheck the mark near the webcam software.
    Reboot again.

Now try to start the webcam software and test the cam.

Good luck

6. Re: Webcam driver open fail on Satellite A300-1MC
    Beginner
    Hello,I asked PSA about the same problem ,so the solution was to boot system byrecovery disk