Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro L450-13M - Webcam driver open fail

1. Satellite Pro L450-13M - Webcam driver open fail
    Beginner
    I'm on Windows 7 with a Satellite Pro L450-13M.

My webcam simply stopped being recognised by any of the programmes on my system. Skype, Toshiba Camera etc etc. One day it was fine, a while later when I tried to use it again it stopped. I only use it for Skype usually, so I've no weird imaginative bits of software that might get in the way.

Uninstalled the Toshiba Camera Software, uninstalled the drivers. Reinstalled the camera software - although there seem to be about 400 slightly different versions. I think I've got the right one. TC30049700E.

Windows 7 determinedly reinstall the drivers by itself when I boot up. It puts on Sonix 5.8.54.1 driver. If I look at the details there's a list of 6 files, all of which look reasonable.

Checked the device manage, which says "This device is working properly". The trouble is, this is a lie!

Oddly, the microphone works fine (I thought this was integral to the webcam).

What I'd really like to do is separately install the device driver, without the entire camera software package.

But to be honest any ideas are welcome. It's very irritating and I've run out of ideas, and I'm about to go away on business for 2 week and I use skype to talk to my kids. I'm sort of semi-technically literate as you can see, but not fluent, and Windows 7 is new for me. The laptop came with it, and webcam was working fine when I bought it at end of Feb.

2. Re: Satellite Pro L450-13M - Webcam driver open fail
    Beginner
    P.S. the only piece of "maintenance" that I might be considered to have performed is to update to the latest BIOS as recommended by Toshiba. Could someone tell me how to roll this back so I can check if it's a cause please

3. Re: Satellite Pro L450-13M - Webcam driver open fail
    Master
    Hi tsgcjcs,

At the moment I can’t imagine that this is related to the newer BIOS version... Normally new BIOS versions are fixing problems so I think this was just no luck with BIOS update and webcam…
    But if you want an older BIOS version, you can get it from an authorized service provider. As far as I know they have all old BIOS versions.

But before you do this, try updating the webcam driver/software. Firstly remove it and restart your notebook. Then use CCleaner to clean the Windows registry and restart again. Now you should download and install the latest driver from here:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com > Support & Downloads > Download Drivers

As far as I know your model belongs to the PSLY1E series… So check the page and try this!

4. Re: Satellite Pro L450-13M - Webcam driver open fail
    Beginner
    Well I've tried this. And carefully disconnected from the internet during the reboots to stop Windows 7 getting too clever for itself and auto-loading things. And alas it's still the same.

I think the fundamental issue is that the "driver" download that gets proposed by the Toshiba website is not in fact a driver. It is a software application "Toshiba Web Camera". Where do I get the driver, not the software application?

5. Re: Satellite Pro L450-13M - Webcam driver open fail
    There is no other driver. Even if you disable this preinstalled software or stop it you must be able to use cam with Skype.
    Disable cam assistant software in MSCONFIG > Startup. I have done the same and cam is recognized in Skype.

Is your cam recognized in Skype settings too?