Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 boot problem

1. Portege M400 boot problem
    Beginner
    Hi everybody!

I have had this Portege M400 for almost 2.5 years and never encountered such problem.

When I press Power button *HDD led light turns on, then WiFi and then suddenly HDD goes off* and stays that way :(. Optionally, Toshiba logo displays in the mean time. I thought that was HDD problem just to find out that after tilting my laptop 90 degrees HDD led started flashing again. Eventually, when Windows loading animation started it would be "safe" to return to normal position and Windows would start.

Sooo, I assume that the problem is somehow connected to accelerometer, is it? I don't get such freeze-ups after Windows boots. Currently I have BIOS 3.8 version and Windows 7 Pro installed ...

This thing really starts to annoy me - people watch me strangely as I tilt my laptop 90 degrees :-)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Jovan

2. Re: Portege M400 boot problem
    Master
    Hi

Maybe this has something to do with the notebooks HDD?
    Maybe the HDD head cannot move properly and the vertical position helps to get the HDD head moving again…
    Unfortunately, I have never seen such strange notebook behavior and therefore I can provide just some personal suggestions….
    In my opinion the HDD should be checked at first… maybe the issue could be solved by HDD replacement…

Greets

3. Re: Portege M400 boot problem
    Beginner
    Thanks for answering! :)

I didn't mention that this behaviour appears to happen sometimes after restoring from Stand By :-/. I should defenetely check on HDD. :-)

Anyone else had this kind of problem?

4. Re: Portege M400 boot problem
    Beginner
    I have the same problem. I am now trying to replace the HDD, but I can see it in the Bios setup but the Windows Vista install does not see the new HDD.

Also, even with the new HDD I have to rotate 90 degrees to get it to boot. Could some other connection be loose?

5. Re: Portege M400 boot problem
    Master
    *@ rstewart*
    If you say you’ve got the same issue then you should be 100% sure that this is the same issue.

The M400 supports RAID! This means that windows needs an RAID driver in order to recognize the HDD!
    Therefore you have to install/include the RAID driver firstly before following with the OS installation!

6. Re: Portege M400 boot problem
    Beginner
    Yeah, as Paolo30 said you have load driver from USB first. By mistake, while googling for my problem, I bumped into topic describing your problem. You probably didn't acquire correct version of driver so Vista can't see your HDD.

@Paolo30: I still wasn't able to replace HDD because of exams but have found a near-by store to buy new one. I'll let you know how it worked :)