Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.

1. Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    Hi all

I have recently bought a Toshiba Satellite L500.

I have noticed that when typing, I have missed keystrokes here and there.

When I hold down a key the letter runs as normal then stops then runs again. It is happening intermittently and is a pain.

I also realised that the touchpad is having the same problem - it intermittently stops for a split second then works.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Cheers

2. Re: L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    I should also note that when I connect an external mouse, the cursor problem disappears.

3. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Hi

> I have noticed that when typing, I have missed keystrokes here and there.
    Did you notice this even when the touchpad is disabled?
    You can disable the touchpad using FN + F9

Generally it’s hard to say what could cause this… strange thing is that this issue does not appear when USB mouse is connected.
    Did you install the USB mouse driver??? If yes, then an 3rd party driver might cause this…

Check also if your BIOS is up to date…
    I read about similar cursor behaviors in the past and some people could solve this installing new BIOS update…

4. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    Hi Mister X

I have installed the new BIOS update.

I have tried disabling the touchpad, but the keyboard problem persists.

Cheers for your reply though!

5. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    I should note, to make it clearer, that there is no problem with the cursor when I use an external mouse instead of the touchpad.

6. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Do you have problems directly after the notebook has been recovered using Toshiba HDD recovery or Recovery disk?
    Check this!
    This would help to discover if it could be an 3rd party software/driver compatibility issue!

7. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as Biglvo and I haven't found any solution, can someone suggest something?

Thanks in advance

8. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Master
    Hi Fomin,

Did you also read the thread? It doesn’t seem so…

Are you running factory settings or your own Windows installation?

9. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    Hi Xardas,

I read the thread yes. The problem is very peculiar. First of all, this problem comes and goes. It is not present at the moment, but if I restart the computer, it is going to appear again. What I have done for the moment is this :

1) First of all, I tried disabling the touchpad. It doesn't work. I haven't uninstalled any drivers though (it may help, I don't know). I haven't installed the new bios update 1.50 for the moment (I have an L505-13N) because I cannot find any information on the bios update (I don't want to try and upgrade my bios just for nothing -especially from within windows 7 64 bit that I' running-). I may try this if I manage to get some information on the bios update (where can I find information on it? the site just says "This Bios Update adds increased functionality to your system." which is not very helpful).
    2) I tried disabling almost all services in windows to see if there is any conflict or something. Problem persisted. It also appears even in safe mode. I will try to boot from some linux or other means, just to check if the problem is hardware or software related, which is my main concern at the moment.
    3) I've read other threads on the same subject on different laptops. Sometimes the problem has been resolved by a bios update, but usually it is a software related problem.

What seems to me very strange though is that this comes and goes.

PS : To also answer your question. Yes the problem appeared when running in factory settings.

10. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Master
    Hi,

Seems to me, it's common problem for L500 series to behave like this, as the common for A500 with crackling sound. If you run with factory settings and it still acts weird, you should contact the Toshiba service center and ask them to solve your issue. I don't think if anybody really helps you in this forum.

Greets

11. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    I just finished testing if the problem persists when I boot from another OS. I used hiren's boot to boot into mini XP and the problem appears as usual. The same in dos. So I guess this must be a hardware problem. It is still very strange though that this problem does not appear in all L505, L500 laptops. I would like to hear how many have a similar problem.

PS : I forgot to say in my last post, that when I connect a wireless keyboard of course there is no problem in typing from that keyboard. The same goes for my wireless mouse.

12. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Master
    So, it's hardware-related problem

13. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    Hi all,

I have the same problem too.
    I had open a thread before on the same subject and thought I had sold my problem after factory restore ... but this problem appear again.
    Problem disapear with an external usb keyboard of course ...

Message was edited by: zedwarf

14. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    Same problem here. I bought a Satellite L505-13J and have issues with keyboard and touchpad lag. I tried many fixes (BIOS update, drivers, etc) that did not work.

Then I tried a quick fix that actually works (until the problem comes again) :

1) Discharge your battery for a while (down to 70% for example).
    2) Turn off the laptop.
    3) Remove the battery.
    4) Run your laptop on fixed power.
    5) The lag has been decreased ! Terrific !

I tried something else :

I set a discharged battery (10%) and started working. The keyboard then was fine.
    Unfortunately as the battery was being charged, it became less and less responsive.
    At 80% power, the lag had returned.

Hope a solution will be found someday ...

Message was edited by: Magleff

15. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    I found something new about the problem : [http://keyliner.blogspot.com/2009/11/windows-7-slow-keyboard-response.html]

A bad battery may cause many power-management interrupts. It disturbs Microsoft's power API. It's very weird because my Toshiba is brand new. Anyway it's under warranty and I am going to change the battery. I will tell you if it fixes the problem.

*EDIT* : The first solution fixed my problem definitely. Actually I just changed a value in the registry : PollStatusIterations. see [this reference|http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978411.aspx] for details. Setting this value to 1hex minimizes the effect of power-management interrupts.

It is very weird but my touchpad and my keyboard are OK now. May this fix help you too.

*EDIT2* : Omg... this thread has been viewed... 2309 times ? Wow.

Message was edited by: Magleff

16. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    Toshiba Satellite L500-00F

I have the same problem too. It's reassuring to see that I`m not alone. Since everything from BIOS updates to original drivers to power management settings has not worked for me, my patience is running out.

Below is a sample of text I have typed when the "frequency skip" as I call it is at it's worst (ironic since I was typing to describe the problem to Toshiba when it first started happening):

-Keystrokes no registering – I type @ 40-50wpm, - that shouldn’t be too quickk for the keyboard to rgister. As I type thi, not = no, register = rgister, this = thi, the last this = thi again. It is vey random (it = I, very = vey) can be any key and is not typing errors on my part.
    -Some keystrokes doubl registering.
    -The jumpy touchpad and the keyboard skipping keystroke registration sems to be a frequency issu (seems = sems, issue = issu – it keepps happeing (keeps = keepps, happening = happeing). Like I was saying – a frquency issue (ugh, it just keps proving my point) with the hardware infrastructure / architecture and not a software issue.
    -This laptop is <1 month old and this problem jut started occurring in the last week.
    -Again, mmy keystrokes are accuate and firm. This is absolutely unacceptabl.

Dealing with Toshiba customer support has been disappointing - they seem reluctant to acknowledge a new issue they know nothing about. I am the customer, I purchased your new product, it has a problem - fix it, don't second guses my situation and give me the runaround.

Since this is a Toshiba forum, one can only hope they monitor it from time to time. It sounds like they have a "small" problem to fix on a lot of machines? Doesn't make it so small now, does it?

17. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Master
    Did you read the solution posted by Magleff ?

Please change the registry value and check if it helps.

The registry entry:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Pa rameters

Here you have to change the default value (0x1) to 1hex

Hope this will improve the keyboard performance

18. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    Ok guys,

I would like to give you an update on the problem (which I have described in detail in previous posts). After a number of unsuccessful attempts to solve the problem by myself, I contacted Toshiba. They said that I should send my computer for repair, which I did. They replaced the keyboard and touch pad and sent it back to me. The problem disappeared and I was happy for about 2 months. Some days ago though, the same thing started happening again. I searched for any new solutions on the internet but found nothing. The only thing that I tried that gave me some results was the following :
    - Shut down. Remove battery. Start computer with no battery. This usually solves the problem for a day or so BUT it reappears. When it reappears usually by reinserting the battery it is solved again (even without restarting sometimes).
    Of course this can't be a solution (especially since it doesn't always work and also is not very practical), but it may help someone else figure out what is going on.

PS : I would be very interested to know how many others have a similar problem.

19. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    > {quote:title=PauPau wrote:}{quote}
    > Did you read the solution posted by Magleff ?
    > Please change the registry value and check if it helps.
    > The registry entry:
    > HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Pa rameters
    > Here you have to change the default value (0x1) to 1hex
    > Hope this will improve the keyboard performance

Can you please be a bit more specific. iis the i8042 that should be changed to i8041? I'll appreciate the clarification. Thanks!

20. Re: Satellite L500 - missed keystrokes & touchpad intermitently stopping.
    Beginner
    @Lumbergumrubber

After comming here:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Pa rameters

you click on the right part of the chart with the right mouse button and chose "add new key...Dword-32 value". Name the key "PollStatusIterations" and set its value to 1 (first Hex field). Then close registry and restart the computer.

I had the problem with skipped or double letters on Toshiba Satellite L670-10P, which I bought a week ago. After changing the registry as described, all seems to be fine, for now..If I press and hold any letter, there seems to be much less random delays as before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast