Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery

1. Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    Hi! I've used my Satellite L10-194 for few years, and it started to be really slow, so i decided to reinstall (recover) system to make it cleaner and faster.
    I found my L10 DVD-ROM Product Recovery, but when i completed the recovery the system wouldn't start. I've tried the recovery for a few times and it doesn't help. Every time i try to start the computer, when it goes to load the system it just turns off (i think there flashes something like bluescreen for a second).

I've checked the HDD and image file in the advanced mode, and it's okay. But when i do HDD -> from Image in advance mode, after completing it there is a moment when i have acces to command line. After getting "C: dir" I dont see a Windows directory (?), when restarting the computer system doesn't work as usual. Am I doing something wrong?

I tried another Product Recovery CD from second Toshiba laptop that i have, and it works, it installs Windows but without drivers and things (it's from completely different model of Toshiba). What should I do? I'm not sure if using system preinstalled for different model is the right idea (and legal?)

I had some problems with my L10 before, and I had to change the mainboard. In service they said that they cannot find a mainboard identical like that in my L10, so they used some different model. Maybe that is the problem why the recovery doesn't work?

PS.
    Sorry for my english, please correct me in my mistakes, to help me improve the language :)

2. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Master
    > I had some problems with my L10 before, and I had to change the mainboard. In service they said that they cannot find a mainboard identical like that in my L10, so they used some different model. Maybe that is the problem why the recovery doesn't work?

I think this is the reason why your notebook does not start after recovery procedure.
    Seems the drivers which are a part of the image are not compatible with the new motherboard.
    Possibly the chipset driver or graphic card driver make some troubles and the Windows crashes before booting up…
    Maybe you could star the windows in “safe mode”. Press F8 immediately after pressing power button. Then chose safe mode.
    In safe mode uninstall the chipset driver and graphic driver and then try to boot again.

If this will not help, then install the Windows using an clean Microsoft CD.
    The drivers should be placed on the Toshiba European driver page.

greets

3. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    But, like i said there is no Windows directory in C: after running HDD-> from Image. Is it OK?
    And the Product Recovery from another Toshiba laptop works.
    After crashing system asks if I want to run in the safe mode ("crash mode" I'm not sure if it is the same mode because of the translation) but it crashes too. Safe mode with command line doesn't work either.

I don't have clean Microsoft CD, and I want the solution to be legal. Can I use the recovery from another laptop, and install drivers there?

4. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    > And the Product Recovery from another Toshiba laptop works.
    So where is the problem?
    Use this and if necessary replace/reinstall only the drivers.

The L10 drivers are placed on the Toshiba European driver page as suggested abpve by other user…

5. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    > I don't have clean Microsoft CD, *and I want the solution to be legal*. Can I use the recovery from another laptop, and install drivers there?.

Here is the problem - I'm not sure if this solution is legal? What about the Windows key etc. Laptop is not exactly mine, I got it from the government office, so it has to be legal solution.

And what about the preinstalled programs? There are some and I'm not sure if they are working fine, or should I somehow delete all of them?

That is why I would prefer to install the original system from this laptop, and am asking questions why isn't it's original recovery working fine.
    Maybe I am doing something wrong (recovering wrong image or something)? If you want I can give the directories and files that are recovered in advanced mode (I can get the command line only there)

But if those two problems (legality, and programs) are solutionable than it's quite ok :)

6. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    I think you can use this recovery from other notebook model. I don’t see any problem there. Best evidence for this is to use Microsoft Genuine Software to confirm valid OS version. Check it under http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/?displaylang=en

Preinstalled programs? What about them? If you like them, keep them preinstalled. If not remove from the system. These Toshiba software is free for download and I don’t see any problem if you use them.

7. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    I think it is OK then. There was no any details, just "Validation Complete" so i guess it's OK then?

I can't install some drivers (chipset, sound, wireless, etc) I think it is because of the different mainboard. Do you know any good (free would be nice, but not necessary) application to check what hardware is inside my computer?

PS.
    Please correct me in my language mistakes, to help me improve my English :)

8. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Master
    > Do you know any good (free would be nice, but not necessary) application to check what hardware is inside my computer?
    Yeah… you can use Everest Home Edition or SiSoft Sandra Lite.
    Both tools will provide details about the hardware inside the notebook.

But as mentioned above; all drivers for A10 can be found on the Toshiba European driver page…choose Archive in “Product type” because the A10 is an oldie.

Greets

9. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    As mentioned above, mainboard was changed and drivers from the webpage aren't working. Did you read all the posts? And it is L10, not A10.

But thanks for the programs. Unfortunately I have no helpful posts left...

Correct, answered question left for someone who will answer why the original recovery isn't working well and is it normal that there is no C:/Windows/ etc. after running Disk-> From Image...

10. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    I don't know whether to start new post or not.

New question is - I've checked the mainboard with EVEREST and it is Toshiba Equium L20.

Now, can I take drivers from any L20 model?

Or if not how to check which drivers should be installed?
    For sure it has to be the chipset, wireless and sound drivers, cause they don't work from L10.

Where to find their model names?

11. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    > I've checked the mainboard with EVEREST and it is Toshiba Equium L20.
    > Now, can I take drivers from any L20 model?
    You can try it.

I think the Everest Home has already provided a info about built in hardware parts.
    Then you an visit the pages like Intel website (for chipset driver) in order to download the right driver.

You can also go to device manager and there you could check the properties of single device. In properties you will find the tab called Details.
    There you will find something like this:
    PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_7120&…..

VEN means vendor
    DEV means device

You can use these ID numbers in order to search for the name of device and vendor.

Check this database:
    http://www.pcidatabase.com/

12. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    Yes, Everest shows all info but chipset... :/ In help it says that I should install chipset drivers first...

I've installed sound and wirelessLAN drivers from L20, but no driver for chipset works, the one from intel website doesn't work too. It says that my system doesn't meet the program requirements...

Do I even need these drivers? System works without them. What are they used for?

13. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    In Device Manager I have three devices which are not installed:
    Video controller (compatible with VGA)
    PCI Modem
    System Management Bus Controller
    (I've translated the names by myself so they may vary from original in English version of Windows)
    Do I have to install some more drivers?

14. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Master
    > Video controller (compatible with VGA)
    This is graphic card and you will need to install an compatible graphic card driver

> PCI Modem
    This is modem and you will need to install modem driver\

> System Management Bus Controller
    I’m not quite sure what device this could be but I think it’s a chipset driver…

As mentioned by MasterG… check the Vendor and device id and use the database in order to find the device name… then you could search for the right drivers…

15. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    Ok, the problem was that I have the L20 motherboard based on ATI chipset and display, which is only in 3 models of L20 (rest has Intel)
    ATI based systems has one driver for both chipset and display named as Display driver, and it's in drivers webpage simultaneously to the Intel drivers. (I think it should be taken down or written somewhere...)

16. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    But I don't see a big difference after installing these drivers... What do they give me? Is it necessary to install them?

17. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    I want to create now some kind of recovery point, how to do it? Using windows simply or something more?

18. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Master
    Are you finished with operating system installation? Are all drivers installed properly now?
    Do you have some questions regarding drivers installation?

Recovery point? All you can do now is to create point in “system restore tool”. Have you done this?

19. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    Beginner
    Like I wrote 4 posts earlier I've installed all drivers :) Only question left unanswered is why the original recovery disk didn't work (and there was even no C:/Windows directory after doing it)
    Because the way I solved the problem isn't usual (I had to use another recovery disk from different computer, it is not always possible to have it)

System restore tool just restores system settings am I right? I'd like to create something like the Recovery Disk which would restore whole system to the entry point but with installed drivers, like now it is.

20. Re: Satellite L10-194 cannot run after recovery
    If everything is OK now you can create own recovery image and use it for further installations.
    For this you must use some additional and third part software like Acronis or Norton ghost image.