Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Cannot recover my Satellite L500-19X

1. Cannot recover my Satellite L500-19X
    Beginner
    Hi guys,

I recently bought a new Satellite L500-19X.
    Had no real problems until the battery died last night and now it will not boot Wndows at all.

When i switch it on it comes up with the "Start Windows Normally" and "Launch startup repair" options. If i try and repair it loads some files then goes to a black screen with the cursor on it. If I start windows normally it just tries for a bit and goes back to those two options.

From what i've seen a lot of people have had similar problems, all o the sugested solutions have been unsuccessful for me though.

Can't load safe mode. Tried using the recovery disc that was provided and that just leads to the same black screen with the cursor. Also tried booting up without the bttery etc. that also didnt work.

I'm running (or at least trying to run) windows 7 which is already installed on the hardrive.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, ive tried pretty much everything though.

Cheers for your time. Any help would be great.

2. Re: Cannot recover my Satellite L500-19X
    Master
    Hi

Hmm…. you’ve got a blinking courser in the upper left corner?
    This looks more like an HDD or partition issue…

But try this:
    Power up the unit and press F8.
    Then choose “Repair my Computer” and then choose (if possible) HDD Recovery.

If this is not possible then go to BIOS and check if the HDD is recognized (all details should appear).
    If HDD is not recognized, then this would mean that your HDD is faulty.

If the HDD is recognized then there could be something wrong with a partition on the HDD…

In such case you could try to create an bootable system disk like WinPE:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment

Then could format the HDD again and after that could use the recovery disk in order to reinstall the Win 7.

Greets

3. Re: Cannot recover my Satellite L500-19X
    Beginner
    Cheers for your help.

I have a black screen which shows the blinking cursor in the top left for like a second then the pointer appears (and works fine).

I tried the repair option, it says 'loading iles' then leads to the same black screen.

There is no option to enter BIOS (maybe i'm just being simple).

I tried the 'boot from' options and select the hardrive, but this just goes to the same black screen. Tried inserting the recovery disc and booting from that and it just does the same. Windows was preinstalled so i have no way of reinstalling that. I don't really care about the files on there, just want it to work again.

Cheers

4. Re: Cannot recover my Satellite L500-19X
    Master
    > There is no option to enter BIOS (maybe i'm just being simple).
    Press F2 when notebook power up... This lets access the BIOS.

According to you message you didn’t try the Win PE…
    You should do this…

Otherwise could be an hardware issue and you should ask an ASP in your country for help…

5. Re: Cannot recover my Satellite L500-19X
    Beginner
    Cheers for your help. Had no luck. Took it back to the shop. Guy said that its a problem with the bootlog or something. They're sending it to Toshiba to repair/replace.

Cheers fo all your help though :D