Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Loud fan noise on Satellite L555-12V

1. Loud fan noise on Satellite L555-12V
    Beginner
    I bought L555-12V at MediaMarkt two days ago. The fan noise is terribly loud.
    The fan turns at 70-80% with a CPU load of just 2 or 3 % when just surfing with firefox and no other open programs.

It sounds like a hair-drier. It's so loud you can't stand to be near the laptop for more than 10 minutes. This makes it impossible to work with.

I have tried everything. Uninstalled unnecessary software, altered the Windows power profiles, changed the Toshiba Power Saver settings; on “maximum performance” the fan never turns off and on “battery optimized” the fan is off for a minute then on at an incredibly loud 80% for a minute and so on. On/Off.

Is anyone else having these problems with fan noise?

Is this the same problem that A500 owners had with the BIOS 1.20 on their machines?

Will there be a BIOS update for the L555-12V like there was for the A500?
    This cured their fan noise fault. At present there is no new BIOS posted on the support page.

If not I will have to take the laptop back for a refund. I would find that a shame as the laptop seems otherwise fine. However this machine is unusable for any length of time in it's current state.

2. Re: Loud fan noise on Satellite L555-12V
    > changed the Toshiba Power Saver settings; on “maximum performance” the fan never turns off and on “battery optimized” the fan is off for a minute then on at an incredibly loud 80% for a minute and so on. On/Off.

maximum performance means that the cooling modules would run with full power. This means that the fan will run always!

battery optimized means that the cooling fans will start to rotate only if the temperature would reach an certain level… therefore the cooling modules goes off if the temperature would decreases and would start again if the temperature level would increase…

> Will there be a BIOS update for the L555-12V like there was for the A500?
    Who knows… I have checked the Toshiba European driver page and didn’t find an BIOS update for L555-12V (PSLWSE) series… I found a BIOS only for PSLW8E series…

However, I think you should wait a little bit and should check the driver page in the next time… maybe new BIOS would be available…

Greets

3. Re: Loud fan noise on Satellite L555-12V
    Beginner
    Hi MisterX,

thanks for the quick reply.

I know that in the “max performance” setting the fan will always be on but it's on at a very loud and annoying 60- 70 % even at a CPU load of 2-3% i.e. virtually nothing is running.

The same in 'battery optimzed' mode. Fan off for approx 1 minute then fan on at a screamingly loud 80-90% for 1 minute and this repeats in an endless cycle-all this with just firefox running a single tab.

Like I said I'm not doing anything demanding on the CPU or GPU. Just surfing.

Whether in 'max performance' or 'battery optimized' settings the laptop is just unacceptably loud.

I really hope Toshiba do release a fix for this as the laptop is nicely built and has great specs for it's price range. But that's no use if you can't use it because it gives you a headache after 10 minutes of just surfing the net.

I wonder if any other L555-12V users have the same problem. I think this model is only available in Germany via MediaMarkt so the user base may be fairly small.
    I don't know if that bodes well for a BIOS update/other fix.

I think I'll call Toshiba tomorrow to see if they plan an update for this model. If not I'll have to return the Toshiba and go back to a Samsung. Worse specs for the price but very little fan noise.